X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

DIY Sound Absorbing Panels II

Well, a little OT, but what the hell!

Having just moved the shop to a new building, the current level of noise from the machinery, and especially the dust collector, is just about driving us crazy.

The dust collector is a recirculating bag type. It's about 9' long with two 8' filter bags coming out the top of 2' diameter collars which have 4' plastic bags attached at the bottom to collect the dust and chips. The motor is 7.5 HP 3Ph and it SCREAMS.

Since it's located in the center of the shop floor near a column, my thought is to make an hanging enclosure out of semi rigid OC 703 2" thick fiberglass panels, which I found for a good price. The absorption coefficient looks like it should work well.

So what do you guys think. I have to leave access to the bottom bags for disposal. I thought to surround the top filter bags with these panels and then fill in some of the surrounding areas with it also. I may also buy extra to make wall panel absorbers with, as needed.

Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

What shop, what building, lol?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Guess if possible I build wooden cage around the whole thing and cover it with multiple layers of the glass panels. Use fence like gates to access the bags....

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Lex, if you feel this is inappropriate, feel free to delete. I just thoght I'd throw it out here to here some opinions.

Tom, A full surround is probably not possible since there is a few pieces of equipment surrounding it as well. My thought was to apply some of the panels to the back of some of the stuff as could fit. I was considering doubling up the panels, but thought I'd try a single layer first.

If I can get a decent pic of the setup I'll try tomorrow.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Here's a couple pics of the collector.

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

oh no Pete it's fine, some shop!

I just didnt' know the answer, so just had a little fun.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"