X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerry Hackney
    • Dec 2000

New kit ordered...

I ordered one of Danny Richie's AV-1 kits for my daughter today. I'll keep you posted on the progress and how it performs... Well at least what I think of it. I should have it in a week or so. Maybe I'll have it all together within 3 or 4 weeks.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmm I'll be watching this one closely..I need a it for up stairs

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kerry,

Do you have a link for this?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

GR-Research

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
          • Dec 2000

BTW, Danny recommends using BlackHole 5 in all his kits. But, since this is for a small bedroom system and Laura has a limited budget, I didn't buy any. However, reading the thread about the roofing latex has me thinking I might donate that for the project. How much do you allow for cabinet volume loss or do you ignore it?

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Kerry,

Another option would be to add a brace connecting the sides, top and bottom. I almost did this with mine but thought I'd build them to spec since I'm offering the cabinets for sale. I wanted to be able to give my opinion based on the actual plans.

I simply stuffed some polyfil into the cabinets right behind the woofer to help absorb some of the backwave and help eliminate some of the internal cabinet reflections from coming back through the woofer.

Another option is to buy some of the damping material that Parts Express sells. I know Hank Frankenberg has used it in the past in some of his enclosures.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=7087758&St=3249&St2=55133608 &St3=57555447&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7081&DID=7

Also, I do have about 8 sheets of the Black Hole 5 knockoff stuff that PE was selling off cheap. I could sell you a sheet if you're interested.

Brian

Comment

• Eduardo
              Moderator emeritus
              • Jun 2002

Top -

I want to keep this post active because I am very interest in the AV-1 Kits. Hopefully after I am done building my sub I will move up to building all new speakers for my HT.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                • Dec 2000

I'll be posting some pictures of the kit parts in the next day or so. We received the kit in great shape last friday. The xover parts really are "HIGH QUALITY" Axon caps, and real foil inductors. The appearence of the drivers is also very good. I have to say I was slightly curious to see what the poly frame woofers would look like. I am impressed with what we got. They are very nicely done and don't have anything like a "budget" feel. The tweeter looks really nice also, and it weighs a ton compared to the little audax tweeter in my Adire 281s.

We also picked up the MDF so we'll be starting the cabinets within a day or so. I have a little cleaning up to do in the shop from my summer construction project first.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Kerry, I will be curious to see the project someday. That is if I could ever find your place again. Talk about in the boondocks, lol.

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2001

Kerry,

Did you ever hear from Danny concerning the kit plans? I hope my description was clear enough for you to follow.

Brian

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Kerry

The GR-Research tweeter uses a 'standard' formula magnet, where as the Audax in the 281 uses a Neodymium magnet. Neodymium magnets are 10X stronger than the standard formula magnets. As a result they don't need to be as nearly heavy

Products like 'Black Hole' or other similar foam/elastomeric compound based damping products, offer limited benefit to cabinets that are made out of wood. They are actually designed for damping the resonances of metal. So their primary benefit is for use in auto installations. Unfortunately there's been a lot of hype regarding the benefits of these high priced products for home audio that IMO isn't justified.

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

Eduardo, I recommend you consider the AV3 towers for more bass extension. Here are pictures of the GR Research AV3 towers that I built for a local customer. They sounded really nice and the customer is happy. They're the final photos on page 2 of my crude website:
                        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                          • Dec 2000

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, all this work is sure getting in the way of more interesting persuits.

Brian, I did get the pdf from Danny so I have the plans. In fact I have all the panels cut out and I'm ready to finish the driver cut-outs. I was interested to see that you can not recess the woofer. In this design the tweeter MUST be flush mounted and then the woofer is surface mounted. The woofer overlaps the tweeter mounting ring slightly at the lower edge. Because of the way the woofer trim ring is shaped there is a smooth curve to the face of the baffle. This mounting also serves to improve the time allignment if you feel that type of thing is important.

I did make my cabinets just a little deeper and have added two 5/8" dowel rods in the middle of the sides to tie the largest panels together. I also will be placing some 1/2" carpet pad into the back, one side and the top.

I hope to have some pictures in the next couple of days so my descriptions will make more sense.

My daughter has decided to go with a textured paint finish. It won't be flashy like some of the veneer work, but it will be much more affordable for her.

Comment

• Eduardo
                            Moderator emeritus
                            • Jun 2002

Hank - I am looking into everything. I still have to finish my Shiva SonoSub. That's been on hold since I moved into my new house but I plan to finish it befor September.

My other issue is my current reciever is a Sony and its crossover point is 120Htz. If I make a floor standing set of speakers the low end would be a waste. Time will tell though. I also like the Adire Kit281.

Big Dreams - Small Wallet

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                              • Dec 2000

Hi guys,
                              I've added a couple of pictures over in the gallery section of the cabinet construction and also a picture of the AV1 woofer. As with my other cabinets I am using dado joints all around and will assemble using polyurethane glue.

In the pic of the front of the cabinet you can see my layout lines of the tweeter and woofer. You can see what I was talking about the woofer overlapping the tweeter.

Comment

• Eduardo
                                Moderator emeritus
                                • Jun 2002

Kerry,

The KIT281's look great. Were they veneered? I would to like have your work shop. Please keep posting pics of the AV1's.

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                                  • Dec 2000

8) Eduardo, thanks for the compliments. Yes, my 281s are birch veneered MDF with oak corners.

As for the AV-1s, I finished one of the crossovers and will be finishing the second one tonight. I'll post some pics if you promise not to laugh at my soldering. The foil inductors were much easier to deal with than I had thought they might be. I just wrapped the foil around the leads from the caps, added some flux and it worked great.

I hope to be finished with them and listening by the end of this next weekend. My daughter is making sure I stay on schedule. :roll:

"Are they done yet"?
                                  "Are you going to work on them tonight"?
                                  "How much longer do you think it will take"?
                                  "Will I get them this weekend"?
                                  "When are you going to paint them"?

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                                    • Dec 2000

:arrow: I added a couple of new pics on the gallery page of the xovers for the AV1s. You can get a look at the components supplied in the kit. There is plenty of room in the bottom of the cabinets so I wasn't too picky about keeping the xover super compact. I will put yellow glue on the cleats and set them in place on the bottom. If I ever need to remove the xover, I just remove the 4 screws from the top and the cleats will remain as a perminent mount in the cabinet.

I use hot melt glue as an insulating material for the solder joints on the bottom of the boards. It is soft enought that it can be removed with a razor knife if I ever have to. I find it easier to deal with than heat shrink, plus it locks everything in place.

Comment

• Eduardo
                                      Moderator emeritus
                                      • Jun 2002

:rx
                                      Awsome job so far. Are you also keeping a log of all the costs? I would like to know what your final costs.

On your Kit281's - what did you use to trim the veneer? How did you veneer and trim around the speaker holes?

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
                                        • Dec 2000

Eduardo > I will be able to tell you the total cost once they are done. It will be under $300 for the pair.

As for my 281s... you may want to take a look at my web site @http://www.hometown.aol.com/ipoweret It explains a lot of the building process on these and my subs. The MDF that I used for them was already veneered with birch. I found it at a salvage lumber center for $15.00 / sheet. IIRC. There were flaws on one side but in my application that didn't matter. I use a jig on my router to cut all the holes. You can see it on the web site also. I used solid oak on all of the corners. I rabbet a 1/2 x 1/2 groove and inlay the oak. It makes the cabinet much more "ding" resistant. MDF isn't very strong when it comes to impacts on the edges and corners. BTW... my cost on the 281Vs is about $570 for the pair.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"