X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Damping for enclosure?

TW, I was wondering if you ever got around to playing with that roofing material/sand mix? I have some drivers ready to go into some enclosures and thought I might give it a whirl if you thought it was worth it.

Thanks,
    Pete
    Birth of a Media Center
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Pete

I made one sealed M8a-MKIII box plain and one with a thick layer of the material. Doing a knuckle rap test the damped box has a more dead sound. But I can't really say that adding the material results in better performance. The performance of the two boxes sound the same. Now these designs have restricted LFE given the very small size of the box, so it will probably reqiure a sub or something similar to do a real test.

The rubber roofing membrane is cheap ($15/gal), so is sand, you might want to experiment

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PMazz
      • May 2001

What was the brand name of the roofing stuff? If I remember, it was a latex based product.

Pete
      Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Kool Coat. I bought it a Lowe's

Recipe is put 2 coats on of the straight stuff. Then mix up an batch containing a ton of sand. Apply as many coats as you want. Then cover with 2 additional coats of the straight stuff to seal the sand in

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thomas,

How much weight does this material add? A lot? Just curious.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

Thanks Tom!

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David

Depends on the amount of sand added to the mix/the size of the cabinet/ and the thickness of the layer used. So I can't give you a exact number. Certainly several lbs to an 'average' sized cabinet

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"