X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken Lopata
    • Aug 2000

Best drivers for DIY system.

If you had 5k to build a center, two fronts and rears, what brand of drivers and which drivers would you use? Focal Audiophile/Audium, VIFA, Dynaudio. I'm going to have built a 2 driver Tempest or Mass 2012 sonosub. Would the fronts be full range and rears be monitors. What would a system like this compare too. Would it be better then Paradigm Studio 100's, Studio CC and Studio 40's for rears. How would a Pair of Maggie 3.6's with 1.4 or MMG for rears compare to either of these setups. Thanks.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Ken

The answer as always is aaaaahhh it depends.

It depends on the size of the room, the size of speakers you want to live with etc., etc.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I'm not a fan of polycone mid/woofers, so I'd leave out Vifa, Dynaudio, and Paradigms, etc.

Maggie 3.6 are AMAZING speakers but unless you have a really BIG room it will be like wearing headphones. Now a Maggie 1.6 front with MMG rears would be pretty sweet. and cost just over $2200. Finding a perfect center speaker is proving problematic.

My next question is how experienced a DIY builder are you?. This would determine other recommendations, meaning kits vs scratch building

Are you planning on replacing your servo 15?

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Little Bruce
      • Sep 2000

Howdy,
      This post is above my budget and manufactor expertise, but what is a servo 15?

BCDII

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Click on "reference" in the products section, When the next page loads click on "Reference Model Guide" when that page loads click on "Servo 15"

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Glad to see you made over here Ken. I will soon be able to tell you first hand what a Maggie 1.4 (similar to the 1.6's) and MMG rear home theater will sound like since thats what I will have in a week or so when the 1.4's arrive. You can see my HT by clicking the link below if you're interested in see in MMG's in a HT.

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

Did my ears deceive me or did the DIY expert just recommend off the shelf speakers?

Just checking,

Lex

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Aaaaahhhh yes, but only in the context of answering a direct question :B

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Lexman
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2000

lol, ic.

Ken, be sure to check Parts Express for drivers, as they have a plenty! Cruise on over and order their catalog. I got mine last week and was amazed at just how much this company carries. Perhaps they should be called Driver City!

Further, the catalog is FREE!

Lex

Comment

• Ken Lopata
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks for all the great answers. Sorry I left out some important info. These speakers will be used 80% H.T/20 Music. My H.T. is 22x13x8 which is open into a 18x23x8 kitchen. I have little experience in DIY. Thomas, if Terry C's dual Mass 2012 is as good as reported, I will be selling my Servo 15. Is Maggies center channel speaker any good? Thanks for all the great ideas.

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ken,

I can't specifically discuss the Maggie center because I've never heard it. People are trying other options because it's so expensive $750.

I tried using a single 1.4, but the efficiency mismatch was too great with my mains.

Many people are buying and using a single MMG as a center. The problem with this is that when placed horizontal, the dispersion is very narrow. So if you decide to go the all Maggie route I try taking one of the MMG's from the rear, and using it as a center for a day.

I'm sure the dual Mass sub sounds great but at the price it had better. Dual Tempest's or two of the PE 15"s at $280 should be an interesting alternative.

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

when my 1.4's arrive I plan on seeing how a single MMG does as a centre (I'll borrow one of my rears) I know the its not as wide a sound field off axis but that might not be a problem in my room

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Andrew

If the main viewing/listening position is directally in front of the TV then the MMG will probably work well.

My HT has an opening between rooms in the middle of the rear wall, so the sweet spot is to either side. This proved problematic with the horizontally placed maggies

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"