X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeremy Santos
    • Aug 2000

2 Tempest Drivers In a 24"w X ????h Enclosure

Hey Everyone,

I need some help. As the topic states, I need to figure out how tall the enclosure will be for 2 Tempest drivers. What will be the minimum height for these two beasts. As I am a newbie to DIY, I will be getting the skills of Andrew to help me build this monster. What other info. do you guys need to help me out? The room is 19ft wide and 25ft deep with the ceiling only being 8ft high. So as you can see, it is a fairly sized room. Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
    Santos Theater

Play It Loud, Play It Clean!!!!!
    Jeremy Santos

My Software
    Santos Theater

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hey Jeremy, I'd be glad to model a sub for you but, sorry I can't read minds. At least not yet.

So do you want this to be a no-holds-barred max low output or something smaller? Ported or sealed?

Remember 2-15"s move alot of air so generally speaking the bigger the box the better.

So for example if you make the tube 11.84 cu ft that's 50" internal height this gives F3 25Hz Fb 18.98Hz with one 8" diameter port, 23.83" long.

If you go bigger 17.89 cu ft, that's 72" internal height you get F3 22.68 Hz, Fb 16.99Hz single 8" port, 17.7" long.

These are "quick and dirty" to give you and idea of the relationship between size and performance. When you decide on a size, I'll post a plot of the response. And give you all the specs.

If you can go just a little bigger we can hit the Fb 16Hz that Dan Wiggins recommends for the Tempests

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
      • Aug 2000

Well, the no-holds-barred max low output is what I want. Nice clean bass at high volumes, even at lower frequencies. Is something like 95db at 15hz just wishful thinking? Ported or sealed? I have been told that with dual drivers, your only option is to go ported. Is this info. wrong? Thanks.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
      Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
      Santos Theater

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The 24" diameter tube tuned to Fb 16Hz is too tall to fit in a 8' ceiling.

The biggest you can realistically go is 19.24 cu ft, this is 24" diameter 84" tall internal height. This gives the following Fb 19Hz, F3 21.47Hz, 4-6" ports, 2 on the top, 2 on the bottom all 32.89" long

Ported designs generally give higher output.

If you can go with 30" diameter tube, we would have a lot easier time designing, and have a much shorter tube that's able to hit the magic Fb 16Hz Dan recommends.

I emailed you a plot of the 84" tube's performance. That was faster than having to upload it to a website. The program won't let me paste the plot inside a post.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
          • Aug 2000

If I would be able to get 30" tube, how tall would it have to be to hit the fb 16hz? I have a 12ft 24" tube lying in my garage right now(got it today)but I think if I call the supplier tomorrow I can easily return it and get a tube of 30".

Jeremy Santos

My Software
          Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
          Santos Theater

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

30" diameter tube approx 77" INTERNAL height will give 32.5 cu ft excluding ports and driver displacement. This will give

30.43 cu ft internal volume=Fb 16Hz, F3 17.1 Hz with one 10" port 36.89" long on each end.

This is the best these 2 woofers can do. And that's A LOT!!!

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
              • Aug 2000

Thanks Thomas. I will do my best to get the 30" tubing tomorrow after work. Those numbers look real good, but there's a chance that I might have to settle for the 24". I'll let you know what happens as I need all the help I can get. But to make sure I get this right, with a 30" tube, all I need is 6.5ft to get those results that you posted? Is this correct? What does INTERNAL mean? Sorry for all the "dumb" questions.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
              Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
              Santos Theater

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Internal height means excluding the thickness of both end caps. So you need to add the thickness of the endcaps to determine the total external length.

So if they were each 1.5" thick the tube would be 80" tall

I'd get a piece 7' long and then later cut it to the exact length we need, after I have time to do ALL the calculations.

Get an 8' length of 10" diameter sonatube for the ports

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
                  • Aug 2000

I'll try to get the right tube tomorrow but the other stuff will have to wait until the weekend. I also have to wait a couple of weeks for the drivers to arrive as 1):they are not available yet(you probably know this) 2):I am not getting them shipped directly to me, but to a buddy of mine in the states. Hopefully Andrew has some time on the weekend to help me get the right materials I need and maybe start on the caps or something. Will keep you updated.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                  Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                  Santos Theater

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

You can help Andrew carry the Magnepan 1.4's that I'm shipping out to him tomorrow, up the stairs when they arrive. 82 lbs

I have 4 Tempest on order but they are going to Jon out in California for a little project he's working on.

In my spare time I'll do an optimized model, and send you all the dimensions for the sub. BTW you will be using damping material inside, won't you?

theAudioWorx
                    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
                      • Aug 2000

Like I said, I am a total newbie at all of this. If damping material is what you suggest, then I will certainly be using it. Does it matter how thick the tubing is? I think the tubing I got today was a 1/4 of an inch thick. Should it be thicker?

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                      Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                      Santos Theater

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I'm not talking about the thickness of the tube. Damping material is fiberglass insulation, or bonded dacron fiber that is used to line the inside of the tube after it's built. This absorbs some of the internal soundwave's and makes the sub sound better.

Don't concern yourself with it right now. We can sort out all the details later.

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I reran the modeling program with a few changes and came up with the following.

If you use 30" diameter tube and tune for Fb 16Hz, F3 22.91 Hz, using a single 12" diameter port 42.09" long.

This will allow you to use a much shorter tube with little difference in performance. Specially after room gain is factored in.

The rough tube length will be 55" internal height. This is MUCH more reasonable to handle.

I'd make the endcaps as follows, 2 -3/4" MDF layers, with one layer of 1/2" or 7/16" OSB (oriented strand board) aka "flakeboard".

These end caps add 4" to the length of the tube so the total external tube length should be 59" tall, it can be an even 60" if you want. Add 4" tall legs and the sub comes in at 63"-64" tall.

theAudioWorx
                          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

This should be a fun project...and I thought my single 15" driver SonoSub as big...its going to be dwarfed by this beast

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Just make sure the 30" wide tube will fit through the doorways!

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
                              PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Jeremy Santos
                                • Aug 2000

Hey Patrick,

We have decided to go with 2 24", 6ft tall enclosures instead as it looks like we will be gaining in the sound department. It will also be a lot easier to bring it inside the house.

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                                Santos Theater

Jeremy Santos

My Software
                                Santos Theater

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"