X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Bruce
    • Sep 2000

ATTEMPTED ROBBERY !!!

Howdy yall.....

A minor setback for sure yall. The woodman called me at lunch today with an approx. estimate for cutting and partially assembling my 2 mains and the center.... $300 !!!!

I imagine most of yall know what my answer was to him:

:F

I believe I can chew the driver holes myself with my teeth cheaper then that. My SAF (melanie) laughed when I told her what the woodman had said.
    I believe he was going to include some rough finishing for the corners (he spoke of some form of oak "L" shaped corner runners) but I told him that I would have to run his est. through the boss lady, but I knew the answer before I even hung the phone up with the woodman.
    I guess I will have to hone my wood working skills and get busy myself. Sure, it would have been nice to have partially finished boxes to carry home, but I only expected to spend no more than $150 for the three to include materials. Maybe I was being thrifty, hell, I dont know.
    Anyway, laugh with me fellow HTGer's........

Isn't that eyeball irritating? :B

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well $80/box assembled is not really robbery. But if you have a truck and know anyone with a tablesaw. You can build the boxes with 2 sheets of MDF, glue, and nails, for about $50 total

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Little Bruce
      • Sep 2000

Hey Thomas ...

How 'bout just lending me some of that there fancy ole saw you been using.......... :W

That router sure is pretty...... :B

(By the way, I am not from the "South") R.O.F.L.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Sure no problem. All you need to do is figure how to get out of the basement. It was assembled down there. :B

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

LB remember that Home Depot will cut MDF to any size you require for free you just need to tell them what you need and baby sit them so they do it right

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've never been able to get accurate cuts from any of the Home Center stores, and believe me I've tried I do however use the local lumber yards for this. They charge a small amount for each cut, but the accuracy is worth it.

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

Thomas, that's probably because the guy at the local building superstore (no names), worked at Kroger or Winn Dixie last week. This week he's weilding a big bad saw! :E

Shop some more Bruce. I was able to get 2 subs built including oak ply for about 180 bucks. A bargain for sure.

Lex

Comment

• Little Bruce
                • Sep 2000

I figure if i spend that much for the three cabinets, i could have bought my own skillsaw with a decent blade and done it myself. So being I work with my hands all day, i will venture this project myself (in Big Bruces garage of course, he has plenty of room).

The particular home improvement warehouse yall talking about doesnt exist in our town, just a
                L***s.

LB

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

LB

I was talking about ALL of the warehouse style home improvement centers :B

If you do decide to cut the MDF yourself, get a 40 tooth carbide blade.

I'd still recommend buying the MDF and having it cut at a real lumberyard. If they charge $.50/cut, you probably won't spend more than $5.00, if you do a proper job with the layout. And if they mess up the cuts you don't pay.

The holes can easily be cut with a saber saw. You only need to establish centerlines for the boards and use a compass to scribe the circles. Practice with some scrap first.

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Little Bruce
                    • Sep 2000

T,

Stopped by a contractor based lumber yard,

found 16"x16' for $16.50 a sheet. Unfortunately they can only provide rough cuts. Since you relayed the proper saw blade to use, I believe a blade will be bought and do the cuts myself.
                    Thanks!!

BCDII

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"