X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Primer question

If I coat my MDF endcap with primer (with paint underneath the primer coat) will lacquer react to anything underneath the primer coat which is covering up enamel/lacquer coats of paint. The enamel just totally hoses my lacquer coats of paint with ripples. I don't want to totally strip the paint off the endcap if I don't need to do so.

So am I okay in just recoating with sandable primer paint?

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry, I'd say you're back to square one. I'm not a finishing expert but I don't think you can go back and forth with enamel and lacquer

BTW, I'd suggest the following alternative to the lacquer. Black polyurethane paint. Couple of coats then cover with a coat of clear poly. Much less hassle for pretty much the same look. And it's much more durable than lacquer.

If you want the outragious then there's a polyurethane product called "50-in-1". Very thick, one coat is as thick as 50 layers of regular polyrethane

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Patrick Sun
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Eye-Yi-Yi! Thanks Thomas! I might just go really radical and go with the hammered metal spray paint then. Who knows!

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

I have refinished a few cars, and here's the rules.
        You can lay Lacquer down first, then enamel on top of that...BUT you CAN NOT lay enamel down first and Lacquer on top. The reason is that Lacquer uses "hotter" solvents than enamels, so Lacquer on top of enamels causes the hot solvents to bite down into the enamel base coat. Whereas enamels are not hot enough to bite down into Lacquer base coats. Best thing to do is strip it and start over. or at least sand it smooth, then apply a sealer, then your color coat.

Comment

• Patrick Sun
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the paint lesson.

I've decided to flip the piece of MDF over and paint that side and see what results I get. I've had to strip what I could off and re-primer it. It won't be perfect, but so far it'll definitely look better than the original side I was working on. Wait till y'all see the yucky photos of enamel underneath the lacquer being lifted up by the lacquer. It was enough to make a grown man cry.

Comment

• Patrick Sun
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I'm now making decent in-roads on this table top. It's starting to look a lot better (plus, I'm using the Krylon version of the spray lacquer, and it appears to work a bit better in its coverage). I can actually see my reflection on the surface of the table top. I have two more coats of black, and 2-4 coats of clear before I let it sit for a week.

I get my garage back! Yay! Been freezing my heinie off in the morning with my car outside the garage while I've been painting.

Comment

• DanB
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Oct 2000

See my reply on the "wet sanding piano..." thread here.
              And for whats its worth..save yourself time and aggravation- don't apply anything over a lacquer finish, nor apply lacquer over anything but lacquer-based products. You either run the risk of instant "lift and separate", or will walk by one day and see thousands of "crazing fizzures".
              Buy yourself a cheap/mid price Craftsman spray gun, and run down to a NAPA or AutoZone and get automotive paints in the qt. containers. Find a buddy with a compressor. Practice on a piece of scrap until you are comfortable before spraying your DIY speakers. To get true professional results, you need to use at least semi-professional methods to apply the finish.
              Anyone wanting to know some tips on painting, or wanting to see my latest H-D paint job..email me, ask me, or give me a place to post the pics.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"