X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

A multimedia project.

I'm thinking of building a set of speakers for my computer system, mostly because I want something that sounds better than what I've heard from just about every other multimedia speaker system out there (I just can't respect a single 4" driver and a plastic cabinet, even if some of them add some harsh sounding sibilant tweeter to it). I've heard good reviews about Swan's setup, but that's about it. So I have a couple of options, I can buy some very small bookshelf speakers or I can build my own.

So I set a budget of about $300 to do this whole thing.
    And I think I want to try out the B&G NEO 8 driver, it's got a little ragged of a top end but I seriously doubt it's any worse than what's out there already. I'm a little stuck on what to use for a mid-woofer, something preferably in the 5" range and I'd like to get some good bass out of it (but I haven't defined what that is yet, I'll most likely also use a sub at some point).

So first does anybody have any experience with the NEO8? Is it an ok driver? It meets the need of being shielded and it has a much lower x-over point than using a regular tweeter.
    How about with the mid-bass/range? To stick to my $300 budget I'm going to need something in the $60ea range (should leave me enough for the x-over). I'd assume that this could be fairly open here as the NEO8 goes pretty low so worrying about breakup modes and such isn't going to be an issue here.
    Will I be able to get away with a simple x-over? Although being near the computer, it will be easier to measure, but I don't want to get to exotic either.

Any other ideas would be welcome as well.

thanks
    Andrew
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

We did some measurments on it last week, considering it for a center channel speaker. It is hot on axis, but 15-20 degrees off it's not bad, though it does roll off above 12-14 kHz pretty steeply.

The response on a large dipole panel (2" X 4") indicates it could be usable down to about 600 Hz, with the right crossover. No lower, considering the likely travel limitations, etc. It will require a bit of a rear enclosure to reach that low; I'd suggest fairly deep, and possibly tapered, to help absorb the backwave. Stuffed, of course.

If you crossed over at 600-750, then I'd use the cast frame carbon fiber 6-1/2" drivers from MCM; they're only about $25 dollars, and aside from a primary breakup mode that manifests as a notch at 1 kHz, they behave decently- certainly would work OK for multi-media. To move up significantly, you'd need to consider a lot more money. Just remember the Neo8 has very limited vertical dispersion- you might actually want two.

Here's an idea for a "kick butt" media or surround speaker - two MCM 8's, in a vertical column, with two Neo8's stacked next to them, with a small Audax tweeter (like in the Adire 281, or the titanium version) in between the Neo8's, crossed over about 8 khz.

-Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew

The test baffle size was 2'X4' not 2"X4"

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Duh,, well, ya know, higher math never was my strongpoint.

I had another brainfahrt regarding a media speaker; put the 6-1/2's at the ends, top and bottom and you could call it an RM-10. Sort of a mini VMPS media tower.

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

Hmmm, I'm liking some of these ideas. Although some of them are rather large. Like stacking 2 NEO8's and right next to them stack a couple of 8"ers, that would be a massive sized computer speaker for sure.

Maybe 13"w x 17"h x however much depth is needed.

The VMPS idea is interesting as well, it's a little slimmer but a lot taller.
          12" from the 2-6" drivers
          16" from the 2-NEO8's
          3" from the tweeter in the middle

Gonne be roughly 34 or so inches tall once it's all put together. That may be a little extreme for my desk (it would be about twice as tall as my monitor)...

Either would certainly bring the gaming experience alive...hmmmm

My original plan was to make something that looked more like a miniture version of this;

But I do like big speakers....gonna have to draw some of them out a little to get an idea.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"