X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibor
    • Oct 2000

Sunosub?

Okay
    Is this the same Sunosub you guys are building on here ? http://www.svsubwoofers.com/
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Heh, the usual tube subwoofer is referred to as a "Sonosub". I just call mine a "Sunosub" as a play on words due to my last name.

Many people used Sonotube material for the cylindrical sidewalls of the subwoofer design. Thus these types of subs were dubbed (by Andrew Pratt, I believe) a Sonosub. But there are other "sonotube"-like tubes and they all should be good enough to use (their thickness will be in the neighborhood of 0.25".)

The SV Subwoofer are a little smaller in design in that they tend to be less wide and their ports are up firing while their drivers are down firing. Also, they feature a bottom plate, while many other sonosubs just have short legs on the bottom to give the driver(s) clearance from the ground.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
    PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The idea of using sonotube (or sonotube like material) to build subwoofers isn't new. Companies like HSU have been doing it for some time now and SVS recently started selling models as well. Sonotube has many advantages for the DIYer since its easy to use and due to its shape it makes internal bracing unneeded (for the most part). I'm not sure I agree with Thomas that they aren't pretty though I happen to think the last one I build is beautiful Pictures of it are on my web site (click the link below)

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Tibor

I realize that this lightweight design flys in the face of conventional box construction techniques. That being, thick walls with lots of internal bracing

The "tube" has several unique benefits. The shape equalizes the internal pressures across the entire surface of the enclosure. And the resonant frequency of the tube material, is higher than the frequency range where the sub is operating. As a result little or no added bracing is necessary.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"