X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Woof cab damping

I am looking at damping methods for my woofer cabinets, and (again) wondered what any of you had used. I got a very large free roll of the fiberglass mat we line our buildings with for acoustic reasons to line the boxes (which will then be stuffed with FG), but was looking for something like a Soundcoat product to damp resonance.

Possibilities so far - an extensional layer of one of the elastomer layer products like Soundcoat or Soundown offer, or some paint on elastomer goo they have in McMaster Carr under vibration damping.

Cabinets will be a sealed 12ply 3/4" birch box layered with a 3/4" MDF box, braced all to hell, so they will be fairly dead anyway, just being thorough.

Anyone have any cheaper alternatives, i.e. roofing asphalt, truck bed liner glop, tool dip, or other things I've seen mentioned on Madisound?

BB
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The only thing any of the paint-on/spray-on/stick-on products to is add mass (weight) to the cabinet. They don't absorb anything.

Neither Jon nor I use any add-on product to add additional mass. We use mulliple layer construction. Usually a combination of 3/4" MDF and 3/4" oak.

Without knowing the specifics of the fiberglass mat, I can't comment.

If you want a DIY method of adding mass, go to one of the home center stores and buy 'Kool-Koat' or other similar water based elastomeric compound. Stir in as much dry playground sand as the mixture will hold. Then apply with a stiff brush or a trowel.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

The absorbing is to be handled by the FG mat. Damping of cabinet resonance is what I am after. The paint on stuff seems likely to be the least effective. Soundown's and Soundcoat's extensional layer stuff seems good, but all the data is for the 250-1000Hz range, and since my woofers are handling 250 down, I don't know if it's worth considering.

I am trying to avoid lead products as they raise my environmental hackles. Someone some day will throw my speakers in a landfill (sigh).

BB

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Brandon

Sorry for the delay in replying I couldn't get the forum to load.

The goal is to either raise the box resonance above the operational bandwidth of the driver, or lower it below the bandwidth of the driver. Either approach is equally effective.

The Birch ply box should 'ring' that's just fine for a sub.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"