Huge sound discrepancy between the CD inputs and the Multi inputs...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicholas Renter
    • Jun 2002

Huge sound discrepancy between the CD inputs and the Multi inputs...

Wow...on an attempt to become more content with my RSP-1066 (as a pre-amp for 2-channel as well as HT), I moved my phono pre-amp from the CD inputs to the R/L multi inputs. All I can say is the difference of sound is amazing. It's like a whole new level of detail has been revealed (or maybe the analog CD inputs are just terribly veiled).

So which is it?

Do the multi inputs sound really good?
    Or do the analog CD inputs (with a "Stereo" surround mode) sound really bad?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

good question. I'll have to try mine and see what I find.

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Out of curiosity, I moved the connects as you had. Can't really do a blind or even side by side test, so I only can rely on my memory of the two sounds. I honestly didn't notice any improvement with multi-connects. I will say that I now know why some have complained about the power plug coming loose.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Curtis Douglas
        • Nov 2002

I am a huge believer in breaking in of different processes and cables. If this was the first time you have tried this your cables and or equipment might not be broke in all the way.
        Or maybe your digital cable is restricting you depending on what you have.

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
          • Jun 2002

I have used the analog CD inputs for about 6 months now - I assure you they are *well* broken in. This is the first time I've used the analog Multi inputs.

Let me give you an example of what I hear...but first, an explanation of the hardware I'm using.

I have a modest analog setup: a Music Hall MMF-5 with a replaced Goldring 1012GX cartridge. I'm also using a Rotel RQ-970BX phono pre-amp. This setup is acceptable for me to determine if I am serious about committing to vinyl. I assure y'all...I am.

When listening through the phono inputs, I would have initially described the experience as "sufficient". The noise floor was very, very low. Matter of fact, using a piece of virgin 180 gram vinyl (Uncle Tupelo's "Anthology" for example), the groves in between tracks were dead slient. Black as night. Music sounded pretty good - although veiled and compressed. A distinct hum emerged when the volume control approached 60.

After moving to the Multi inputs, I could hear the surface noise on the same vinyl that before I heard absolutely nothing. Details that I had not previously heard emerged. A new sense of effortlessness emitted from my Nautilus 805s. That same hum did not return until the volume approached 75.

I'm interested to find out is anyone else hears this magnitude of difference.

Comment

• Dre J
            • Aug 2002

I've gone through these inputs many times. There is no difference between the Multi-channel L/R input and the 2-channel analog L/R inputs.

Bass management is broke on both inputs. The difference is you can turn the Subwoofer off for 2-channel analog by setting the sub to "no". This does nothing for the Multi-channel input. The subwoofer output is always on for multi-channel.

Do you have the subwoofer output level set differently for stereo vs. multichannel in the sub level menu? Also note: From my Bass Management report, the multichannel input crossover is fixed at 100 Hz (maybe 120 Hz).

Dre

My little corner of the world

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• Dre J
              • Aug 2002

Nick,

Do me a favor and try the other inputs. Try Tuner, video 4, etc. You may have a busted analog input switch.

Let us know.

Dre

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

"ILL-PLEX 007.1"

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                • Jun 2002

Dre J ,

I won't be able to test until Friday, but I'll post my results after I do.

I don't use the subwoofer out / internal crossovers. I run my REL Strata III speaker lever from my R/L mains. My crossover is set to "off" and my subwoofer setting is set to "no". I allow my 805s to voice full-range, and my sub is rolled-off just below the -6 db point (42 Hz, I believe).

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                  • Jun 2002

Ok....I'll be doing more testing over the next week. However, I do detect a difference between the multi R/L and the CD, Tuner, and Tape inputs. The difference is slight, and I was about to report that there really wasn't much difference until I put the 'table back into the multi R/L in. The diffference I hear was enough for me to report my findings as I have.

I just bought my wife a TiVo, so I've got some new toys to break...er, I mean play with. I promised I wouldn't hack it for at least 6 months. Oh the temptation....

Comment

• Brent
                    • Jan 2002

I have just started a little experiment comparing the multi in with other inputs. What I have done was use my Sony MDP-455 laser disc player which has 2 sets of outputs. One set I put to the L&R multi in and One set to the video 2 input. Now by simply toggling the multi in on and off what I noticed is about a 3 db decrease in volume and less bass using the multi in. When I increase the volume to get equal db levels I still hear a little less bass. Because I have to adjust the volume I may not be getting an accurate comparison and also the multi in may not be groken in yet. 8)

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

On the subject of comparing the multi inputs to the CD analog inputs:

I believe the multi inputs would yield the cleanest signal path while bypassing any processing including base management which is not available in this unit in the analog domain.

My question is: does the CD analog input remain analog or as in many receivers does the CD analog input go through an additional A/D conversion? If it does then the multi inputs should be superior base management issues not being considered.

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"