X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

another IB question

Thomas I've seen two versions of the IB sub where one uses the plenum mounting method and the other simple has the drivers flush mounted to the common wall...any benefit to one vs the other?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

andrew

Direct wall mounting is theoritically the best idea. But one must cut alot of holes in the wall/ceiling/floor to mount 2-4 drivers.

There is some phase cancellation with a long/tall plenum/outlet box/manifold. This is due to the time delay that's a fuction of the distance between the upper and lower drivers. They can and due cause cancellation. Whether or not this cancellation is a problem depends on the situation/system/install. Tom Nousaine has a null resulting from the fact that his IB is 7'+ tall. So the info from the bottom woofers is cancelling some of the info from the top woofers. But he uses the null to assist the cut-off frequency so he gets a steeper crossover slope for free.

A long time ago Jon and I calculated the cancellation frequency from the 12 Shiva array, for my system it wasn't a problem.

It's best to keep the array as short as possible to avoid potential cancellation. So don't copy the 12 Shiva design if putting an IB in an attic. Instead make a 18"-20" cube with 2 opposing 15's. If more output is needed add a second pair of 15"s

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks thomas...I'll stick to the box mounting method with room to add a second pair of tempests if I ever feel the need.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"