X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Guynn
    • Mar 2002

Need Advice on possible IB subwoofer

Because of some recent sub/amp problems, I have been considering replacing/upgrading my sub. Somehow, I came across this infinite baffle concept and began reading up on it. The more I read, the more I like it.

In particular I like the setup done by Rich Kraus, http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html especially in light of the comments from Mike Knapp.

My problem thus far is this: My current HT room already has some holes in the ceiling from an ancient (35+years) distributed music system in the house. They had ceiling-mounted full-range speakers in many of the rooms. This would be great except that these holes are situated over my current listening position rather than near the mains (other end of the room).

Question 1: would mounting the IB sub at this location create way too much localization? If I could XO at 60Hz, would that alleviate the problem?

Question 2: There are 2 holes arranged in the ceiling at this location (almost a stereo-type arrangement). If I were to do a two-tempest IB, could I mount one in each hole, or would it be better to make a box like Rich's and manifold them through one?

Question 3: I read something on the IB board about reinforcing the joists if they are normal 2x4's, shed any light on that?

I really think this could be a neat project...

Thanks ahead of time.

Rick
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Welcome to the forum Rick. Glad to have you aboard and hopefully someone will jump in here and help you out more than I can.

I'll throw in my two cents worth though.

For starters, I've only heard subs in ceilings one time and that was in a club. They sounded well, they didn't sound actually, no bass hardly at all. The owner moved them to the floor and twala, he had bass. So I would caution you to maybe take a listen to some that are installed in the ceiling. Have you actually heard Rich's setup or is this just site you found?

If you end up going the ceiling route then location as far as localization, even at 80hz, shouldn't be a problem.... although IMO I'd rather have the sub closer to my mains just for phase problems. That would all depend on what amp you are running and it's phase adjustment capabilities.

In the ceiling and as cheap as the set up cost you might consider 2 pairs of the tempest in each location. If you decide to go with just one pair, I'd stick with having them fire at one another. This seems to work really well in auto installations I've heard.l

No doubt you will need to reinforce 2X4's...... I didn't know it was even legal to put 2X4's in a ceiling. Hmmmmm!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Rick Guynn
      • Mar 2002

Thanks for the response, Sonnie. I usually lurk around the HTF, but a fellow over there suggested I try this forum with my particular question. Now that I know about this place, I am sure I will be frequenting both

It was kind of weird. I have been pondering what to do about my sub situation and watching various threads at HTF, and some mentioned IB. I had heard of it before, but not really thought much about it. Someone provided a link to the 'Infinitely Baffled' site and I did quite a bit of reading. The more I read, the more I was intrigued by the idea.

So I followed a few of the links and came across Rich's site. It seemed like a relatively simple solution to a subwoofer need. Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to implement it in my house.

I don't really have the option of the floor, it will *have* to be a ceiling job. As for the 2x4's, I was pulling that from memory, I'll have to double-check on that one.

I am still open on ideas. I may go with just two now and see how that works out before I go for four. Your recommendation of the paired-facing configuration seems to be pretty agrred upon in all of the posts/articles I've ben able to find.

I don't know exactly when I'll get to do this (soon I hope) but I will try to relate my experience when I do..

Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Rick, another concern with location might be the response you will get. If it were me, I'd probably try to mount the vent in the corner of the HT room. Maybe you can cover up the 2 existing holes. Corner loading the sub will give you the best repsonse I believe. You may have some peaks in your response but those are much easier to eliminate than dips. You could end up having serious dips/nulls if you mount the sub out into the room with nothing but the ceiling as a boundary. In the corner you'll have 3 boundaries. Plus it will be hard to determine the best location out in the middle of the room. Going with the front corner area, you should be good.

Most ceiling joist are 2X6. You may still need to do some reinforcing though. Something you will need to just look at and figure out. No doubt you'll want to have all the joist sturdy, particularly around where the sub will be mounted.

As far as a PEQ, I'd have to say go with the BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) Pro 1124P Parametric EQ. You can pick it up for about $130 and I know where there's plenty of info on it.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Say, did you get a chance to check out ThomasW's 12 Dancing Shiva's

Good luck on your project.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Rick Guynn
            • Mar 2002

Yes, I saw Thomas' site too... all I can say is.. WOW. Hehe.. I think it may actually make it easier for my wife to accept what I want to do . I just point to the pictures at Thomas' site and say 'well I *could* do that!'.

Sonnie, funny thing about that relocation idea. I have clearance to cut another hole in a better spot, but the wife attached a string.. The ceiling needs to be redone. It currently has acoustic tiles on it that we want removed. I'm not sure when that will happen, so I am still considering mounting in the existing holes for the short-term.

Oh, and the BFD seems to be very popular with alot of people (and reasonably proced) I will most likely be going with that one when the time comes..

Rick

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
              • Jan 2002

Paul, I'd never seen those before.... yes WOW!

I imagine that is an automatic air duct for Thomas with all the air those would move.

Very impressive.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yup pretty funny to put a bath towel over the outlet for the big IB. Then turn up the SPL's and watch the towel get blown across the room

Rick G

I think I covered most of your questions in an email. Let me know if you need more assistance

Thomas

theAudioWorx
                Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Rick Guynn
                  • Mar 2002

I think you did pretty much.. Sorry about pestering you

I'll let you know how it turns out as soon as I can get it done. ;P

Rick

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

Now Thomas, you're not suppose to keep secrets. Ya gotta let us in on this stuff so we can learn.

Care to share it with us?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Sonnie

There aren't any secrets. Everything I put in my reply to Rick's email is can be found in the posts at the "The Cult"

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Thanks Thomas..... hmmmm! At first sight of your title I was leary to even click on it........lol j/k!

Looks like a lot of reading in there but I'm interested. I've got a lot of attic space above my room and a null I need to work on (although it isn't bothering me---I still know it's there). The IB way may be the answer. Add another sub or two and I got the amp (3500 watts). Heck I might be able to get rid of my null, reckon?

Dang, now I can see all my ceiling sheetrock come tumbling down in my lap! 8O :LOL:

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"