X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoopalini
    • Aug 2000

DIY Speakers .....?

I've been contemplating building my own mains lately, and think I might just go ahead and do it.

I have looked at the Adire kits, and the 281's will probably be my choice.
    I like the ported design best. They go lower in Hz and I prefer the towers too.
    Now I know I could just put the sealed version on some stands, but then I loose some low end there.

Anyway, this is still way in the infancy stage and my real question is this:

If I build two mains using the 281 ported design, I was wondering what kind of center I could use. Then I thought, what if I built one one more 281 with the sealed design and used that as a center channel?
    Would this be feasible? I have never seen/heard a center channel with dual 8" woofers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Any input is greatly appreciated

Thomas.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

well Mike Knapp over on the Home Theater Talk site built those and a single as a centre...try Avatar kits

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi

Yes build the dual 8" sealed like Mike Knapp did. This will give the best match for the tower ported mains.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• MikeK
        • Aug 2000

I built the 281 sealed cabinet as my center and mounted it on a stand to make the tweeters all line up. I couldnt use it vertically with the tweeters lined up because it would be in the way of my screen. I made two of the single 8" driver Kit81's as my surrounds. I couldnt be happier with this set of speaker....proceed, and do so quickly!

Mike

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yes proceed, but don't use a green woodgrain finish

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Stoopalini
            • Aug 2000

alright! I guess the decision is made then. Time to order 3 of the 281 kit's and start buildin' !

Mike,

Great job on those 281's! they look great, even with the green (so they tell me -- I'm color blind )finish. I could only hope that mine will turn out as nice.

As far as mounting the center, I have a 36" Wega set in a rack with adjustable shelves. (Here's an old pic of it: My Entertainment Center) so I shouldn't have a problem moving the TV up a little and making a shelf underneath it to put the center on. This way, all the tweet's will be in a plane at ear level.

Thanks again guys,

Thomas.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"