X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Bad arss surrounds?

The DIY bug is hitting me full force, and I am awaiting a pair of 15's for a sub.
    However, I am now beginning to look at building my surrounds, and Vance Dickason's "cookbook" has got me goin' .
    One large problem, I want them to match my front sound stage tonally, this could be tuff since Legacy's drivers are probably built to their specs. One might say "hey sell the mains and build your own"...to that I say NEVER!!! I love the sound I have now, so the surrounds must conform.
    My center and mains all use the same "mid-bass to top end"...a ribbon tweet, a 1.5" midrange dome, and two 7" midbass drivers. SO, I'm starting to think alittle here and I'm checking some of the sites Thomas has given us and BANG!!! the Raven ribbon looks like a good start, their small one might just be a close match to legacy's ribbon, and this seems like a good start, the Legacy's 7" drivers are Kevlar coned, so that's another piece of the puzzle.
    Anyway I ramble, what I really want to get opinions about is cabinet design and driver alignment.
    I'm thinking of a cabinet design that has the cross-sectional shape of a triangle.
    This triangle could be implimented one of two ways: one, a ribbon, 1.5"mid, two 7"midbass in a D'oppolito array.(this is the Legacy focus's array) This could be EQ'd to mount in a corner. (ceiling and side wall, or, rear and side wall)
    OR TWO, one side of cabinet mounts flat against side wall (like di-pole) on front facing baffle the four above mentioned drivers are mounted, on the rear baffle perhaps another ribbon and 1.5" mid dome, but not wired out of phase. Would this give me the best of both worlds? a monopole's directivity, yet add a defussed field? or am I just dabbling??? :? ???
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Kenny

The Eton 7-360/37Hex ($122ea) are virtually identical to the ones Eton makes for Legacy.

The Legacy soft dome is made by Audax. But it is a completely custom unit. I have a couple dozen of the stock Audax 1.5" domes. The difference is a smaller magnet. I'll give you a pair of these if you want to experiment.

The leaf is a Phillips unit. I have a source for these in Europe, but haven't yet been able to find an North American source.

There's no need to use something as expensive as the Raven for effects channels. It would be waste of money. IMO.

I'd suggest monopole surrounds, standard M-T-M configuration. This is the tend of the future, especially with the advent of 6.1-7.1-----10.1 or whatever, sound. It's better to control the dispersion.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bigbruce
      • Sep 2000

babble babble chuckle chortle..

Couple ideas...if you (or whoever) have not found them...check out the forums at partsexpress; madisound (PE Paul answers questions there since Madisound does not).

Also; join the bass list... subscribe link at http://basszone.stryke.com/

and check out the DIY Loudspeaker Driver Selection Guide at http://www.snippets.org/ldsg/

Respectfully,
      Bruce

Bruce aka zzatt
      Bruce aka zzatt

Comment

• bigbruce
        • Sep 2000

Oh; yes...

DD 5.1 (AC3) demands all channels be full range; so all five speakers should be identical maybe. Its only money
        Bruce

PS: should have mentioned adireaudio and selah audio ( http://home.earthlink.net/~selahaudio/ ) too as sources of kits and drivers. Their mentioned frequently in the forum postings at madisound. And I am probably speaking out of turn..I suspect you have already gotten these references and more..

Bruce aka zzatt
        Bruce aka zzatt

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

No fear bigbruce speak anytime, that's what it's all about! I am a fact visiting several of these sites, one can never have enough info or opinions.
          Thomas once again your knowledge shines. Thanks for the leads on all the legacy drivers, if you ever make an order from your European leaf source let me know. I will order some (may eventually build a second center channel)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"