X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryker
    • Jan 2002

adire kit 81 comparisons

I'm thinking of building the kit 81, but wanted to know what kind of commercial bookshelf they compare to? Is there a comparable speaker that is in the same price range? It seem the axiom m22 would be about the same price, is this comparble? I just want to make sure I am not wasting my time.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Hello Ryker,

Making a comparison to a specific commercial system would be difficult to do unless they used the same drivers, in a similar layout/enclosure/crossover.

The Axion M22 kit using dual aluminum cone 5-1/4" drivers, a titanium dome tweeter (plus) with a acoustic lens/diffusor/resonator (minus, in my book), with a rated frequency response from 50 - 22K. With 5" drivers, I would expect efficiency and bass output are likely to be on the low side, yet they rate this system at 95 dB/watt at one meter. Based on my knowledge of physics and acoustics, there's something here that doesn't add up. There are no published response curves that I coudld find on the site.

Depending on their performance, they could be a very good value, since they aren't a kit, but assembled. On the otherhand, no opportunity for customization.

The Adire speaker has good instructions, and the performance of it's big brother, the 281, is well known and documented. It's a design which has proven a high capability in "bang for the buck".

Which would be really your "cup of tea" would be hard to say without listening and evaluating yourself- unless you know of a reviewer you trust, who's checked out both. Or perhaps, through one of the forums, you can find someone near where you live who has a set, that would be willing to audition them. If you're going to run them full range, I'd guess that the 81 might be a more satisfying compromise. If you have a sub, maybe the Axiom's would get the nod.

I would expect that the Axiom's will have a cleaner and more detailed midrange, but probably be a bit light in the bottom end. I'd be very surprised if they were actually 95 dB efficient after compensating for baffle diffraction, given the limitations of efficiency in most smaller coned drivers. (look at Focal, Eton, and others, to see what I mean). I like good metal dome tweeters, but not with the acoustic diffusors; they resonante, and tend to create a sibilant top end in my experience. Of course, it's possible that the Axiom is the exception, but.... it would be better to hear it with electronics similar to yours.

Good luck in your quest.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ryker
      • Jan 2002

Jon, thanks for the detailed response, that was a great help. I will be running the system with a sub, but sometimes I like to run just large. I think I will go with the kit81. I have already built a tempest sonosub, and just the fact that I built it with my own two hands gives me great satisfaction and I know I will feel the same by building the 81s.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"