X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Maggie center

Thomas is there a way to make a center that would match the Maggies other then using a single MMG? The reason I ask is that the MMG's are rather large for use as a center at least in my case at present. I will likely hold off until I have a large RPTV that will accomodate an MMG center but just sort of curious on your thoughts...

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew

This is the primary problem with any planar. There aren't any perfect centers. The smaller Maggies placed horizontally have wierd vertical dispersion. It's not optimal. You might try setting one of your MMG's on it's side just to listen to what happens. Some people don't mind the dispersion characteristics. And splitting the cost of a pair of MMG's is "cheap" compared to the alternatives

There is of course the Magnepan MGCC1. Frequency response only goes down to 160Hz, and the cost is $750, OUCH!

One option I'm considering is the B&G RD22c. This has 2-7" ribbons with a dome tweeter in the middle. Then add 2 good quality 6" shielded cones, one on each end for a MTM config. Not cheap either though!

This center channel problem is why I built the MarquisPlus. It's not a perfect match for the ESL's but it does OK. I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to this issue. I'm going to try putting one of the 1.4's on edge to see what it does. If the dispersion isn't too big an issue I may consider the single MMG solution.

Jon is planning on a interesting center design. I'll see if I can get him to elaborate on it. It uses an open baffle woofer, so it's really only useful for FPTV

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thomas keep me posted on how you make out. I'll try the MMG on the side tonight and see how it sounds. If the 1.4 seems to work for you maybe we can work something out with the 1.4's and my MMG's.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Andrew

I just completed a preliminary test. Played the Dave Mathews Band DVD. Interesting...........

The 1.4 is a much better sonic match for the ESL's than the MarquisPlus. The
        L-C-R soundfield was much more cohesive on axis.

The dispersion is another issue entirely. Off axis, meaning anywhere not directally in front of the 1.4's diaphragm, was out of the sweet spot. This meant that the sweet spot was 45" wide.

Whether or not this is a problem is room dependent. Now the off axis sound wasn't "bad", there was simply the tendency to hear the closest main instead of the center.

Tonight I'll checkout a movie and see what happens. I suspect the solution is going to be a center as wide as the distance between the mains (B&G RD75), two MMG's angled (probably too long), or something like the B&G RD28.1 mounted vertically with a wide baffle.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2000

If you guys would get real speakers, this wouldn't be a problem, lol. Obviously, for music the planer speakers have some real benefits. But for theater, some real constraints, as you guys know. I think Martin Logan has addressed the issue as well as anyone with their circular designed center. However, again, the price is substantial. Even for the smaller of the two, I think it's like 1200 or so.

Goodluck,

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

thomas did you catch this on the MUG site MMG center project

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Andrew

Yes I saw that, interesting idea. I think the B&G RD28.1 would do the job just as well, for 1/2 the price of the NewForm ribbons

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

So is that an avenue you think you'll go down but using the 1.4's instead of the MMGs?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Thomas "You've got mail"

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"