X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Temple
    • Sep 2000

DIY cables, need help, advice

I have been thinking of DIY component video cables and DIY audio interconnects. It seems RG6 is the thing to use but I have a few questions and need advice on what to do.
    First, I don't own high end gear, so I don't know if I will hear a difference but I would like to replace the cheap cables I have with something better.
    Second, I don't want to build expensive cables so I wanted to know a source for cheaper RG6 that is decent, and that I don't have to buy five miles of it just to build a few sets of interconnects. Belden and canare come up as good choices, but the idea of having to buy 500 feet seems overkill.
    Tools: Where can I find good strippers / crimpers for the canare 75 ohm ends without spending $65 on a crimper. Will a normal coax crimper work on the canare ends? What about a normal coax stripper, will it work with the canare RG6? rater than the canare $$$$ tool.
    FYI this all started when I began looking for a cable for the sub I am building and decided to DIY.

Last, what would solid core RG6 do to the sub cable, as I coud use stranded core, but it would require a separate stripper from the one needed to build the component video cable, anyone with opinions / experience in this area would be appreciated.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Canare LV-61S (RG-59) is great component video wire, and is a true 75 ohm load. It has a stranded core so it's very flexible, is easy to pull and work with. Don't bother with the crimping tool just get solder-on RCA's they will work fine.

Shop Video Production Gear, Audio Recording & Podcast Equipment, Lighting, Tactical Fiber, Blackmagic, Belden, Neutrik, Clear-Com, AJA, Shure, Teradek

They sell the wire for $.25/ft (p/n LV-61S)and the Canare solder-on RCA's (p/n F-09 or F-10) for $2.95/ea, gold plated with strain relief springs.

Buy some extra wire and make some interconnects to audition. I prefer the D.H. Labs wire, but I use the same Canare RCA's

Markertek has a $25 mininium order, other than that you can buy any length of wire you want. They are located on the east coast so shipping should be reasonable.

The main reason people are using RG-6 is because they buy a huge roll when setting up a satellite dish and are simply using what's left over. It offers no advantage over any other coax for HT use.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"