X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Birch or Oak in Black?

Anyone have a feel for how different these finishes would look stained black?

I certainly like the smoother grain of the Birch over oak veneer. My speakers are what is suppose to be a black oak finish, would my sub look terrible in the black birch? Being that birch is such a light wood, would it look good in black?

It seems a shame to hide either of these in the nondiscript black, but I do want it to match the tone of my all black system.

Could anybody suggest where I could get the grill ball & sockets retainers locally? These are such a small item, I don't think Parts Express would ship them to me.

Bing
    Bing
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Bing

Birch doesn't take "normal" stains well. It's manditory to use a "sanding sealer" prior to applying a stain. Also since there is virtually no depth to the grain, the surface will be guite "flat" and possibly a little bland. Oak on the other hand has a nice deep grain structure. Don't use any "filler" and you'll should get a very nice finish. If you want to get the same finish but with fewer steps just use black polyurethane paint, as opposed to the stain with clear coat on top.

The "Fastex" brand fasteners are what you are describing. I have a bag of them and would be glad to send some up to you at no cost. Email me with the number you need and your mailing address. Be advised that these are sometimes a little tricky to install, and that Velcro is does just as good a job without the trickey drilling and insertion issues

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Thanks, Thomas, glad to have you back, I was going through technical withdrawls

I'd like to try the fastex fasteners please.

Thanks for the recommendation on the oak. I best just use that as you say, rather than have a finish that would detract from the work expended on the cabinent.

Bing
      Bing

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"