X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

sound absorbing panels

Thomas we started talking about sound absorbing panels in the IB thread but I thought I'd start a new one and keep it seperate. You recomended I build one for the window and one each for the mains...will one 2' * 4' panel be enough for the maggies or should I consider doing more then that? I guess its trial and error right? What about the rest of the room ...sides etc? I figure I should think about doing something at the first refection point on the side walls but is this as big an issue with maggies?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew

The 2X8 size is based on getting 4X8 peg board and cutting it in half so 2-2X8 panels. That will get you started, I suggest building 4 moving them around and see what happens.

Study the ETF Acoustic website. There's a ton of info about setting up a proper room. Mirror trick deals with first reflections

Proper setup for planars is a combination of diffusion and absorption.

For optimal performance from the mains you should also consider 'noodle lens' (diffusers) There's info on a very inexpensive DIY one from the same Jon Risch website link on my DIY panel page.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Thanks I'll give those sites a look

Comment

• Funboy
        • Jan 2002

Sorry to jump into the conversation, but had a few burning questions that I'm hoping one of you guys can help with.

What thickness of a peg-board is recommended? Also, what is the best material to cover the peg-board with?

Any insight would be appreciated.
        Thanks

-Funboy
        -Funboy

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Hi

I used 1/4", you could use 1/8" if the panels are small or you need something light weight. The pegboard is nailed to the backside of the 2X4's for support and strength. Nothing covers it. The front of the panels consist of fiberglass held in place with hardware cloth/wire mesh. That's covered with a layer of dacron batting, then wrapped with a cloth of your choice. The cloth should be a loose weave. It's stretched around the frame and stapled to the backside of the 2X4's.

A friend is building a set of these, I'll ask him to shoot some pics of the process.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thanks thomas pics would be helpful. I'll likely end up building some of these for the wall behind my mains & TV. This wall will have a black curtain installed about 6" from the wall so I'll mount the absorbtion panels behind this curtain...out of site so they can look as ugly as sin and no one will know...

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"