X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IB question

Thomas our offer on a house was accepted yesterday so I now have a real HT room with which to start designing etc! I will be getting some measurements this wednesday evening but basically its a long narrow shoebox of a room. At the end where the TV and gear will go there's a small window that I plan on covering up with a black sheet that will cover the entire rear wall. I'm considering putting some sort of acoustic treatment behind this to help with rear reflections (ideas?) The centre will be suspended from the ceiling to allow me to angle it down towards the chairs and rears will be possitioned behind the seats as required (considering wall mounting them with piano hinges)

Anyway my real question is regarding IB's. Directly above the TV is a bedroom that will either end up being the office or the spare room and it has a closet direct above the right front speaker (or there abouts). My question is if I build an box that exits above the main speakers in a corner will that interfer with that main? Question #2 I would mount a tempest (or two) onto the box so that they are accessable at the base of the closet...what sort of sound or pressure would be felt in that upstairs room? #3 would the closet doors have to be open all the time?
    If an IB isn't do able I'm considering building some box that will be long but not tall with a driver or two in each corner behind the maggies...given the narrow room I want to give the fronts as much breathing room as possible and I'm not sure where the sub will go up front and still provide room for the mains...unless I build another sub so both mains have a sub behind them. Option X is to just place the sub in the back of the room behind the rears..or build a box into the wall beside the gear rack where the driver and port could fire sideways into the room...as you can tell I'm only begining to think about what I will do once we take possesion on april 1st..and I have no real measurements at the moment to deal with real placement issues.

Below is a rough sketch of the basement layout...its not to scale but should give you an idea of what I'm talking about (hopefully anyway)

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew

Make a custom version of one of the DIY sound absorbing panels from the Klone site to put into the window. Then make some 2'X8' test panels to play with in the main listening area. These panels are very cheap and easy to make.

The IB will be as loud up stairs as it is down stairs if it's mounted though the floor. Yes the closet door would need to be open when the IB is operating.

Another option is make a 20" cube mount 4-Tempests/DVC-15's. Have the side with the speakers in the HT, with the opening firing into the shop. Make a cosmetic frame from 2"X2"s covered with grill cloth so that it hides the drivers/IB array. This would be much smaller than anyother form of enclosure

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

thomas I thought the other end of the IB (speaker side) had to be in a room that was completely seperate from the HT room...if I cut a hole for the gear racks near where the IB would be wouldn't that be a problem? I guess I could make a back that would seal tight against the gear sealing if from the HT room...I guess the door would have to be closes as well?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Andrew

Yes the front and rear wave must be isolated from each other. So the equipment rack would need a sealed back and there would need to be a door between the 2 rooms. That might be easier than cutting through the floor.

If you want to get real weird just put a baffle board in the window, then mount drivers in it. Cover the back with some breathable cloth and wire mesh to keep little 4-6-8 legged friends out.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

thomas it gets damn cold up here so I doubt that window sol'n is going to work there is a door between the laundry room and the HT room so that's an easy fix...as is sealing off the gear rack. So where should the ID enter the room...by that I mean 1 foot above the floor vs 5 feet up etc or does it matter at all? Also as far as i can see there is absolutly no requirments on the box size or "port" lenght etc is there? ie I simply build a box mount a couple of drivers on the sides and have one end open to the HT room? It seems a few people have had good luck using dual tempests...is that a better choice vs dual PE DVC's or say a single 18" or a blueprint driver? Also assuming I went with dual tempests will I have enough power with 110 - 130 watts going to each driver? If I remember right the IB's run at the same effiency as the drivers so given the tempests rating that should be quite a bit right....what about eq? needed more then a conventional sub or totally room dependant? If I can free up not have a large tube in my HT that will be wonderful

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Well they use these driver for car audio, that's a fairly hostile world too......

You can put the box anywhere it's convenient. Probably easier to floor mount it, it can share the floor and back concrete wall of the basement.. Make it large enough for 4-15"s just in case. Yes start with 2, but someday you may want to join the big leagues....

The box should be as short and compact as possible. So roughly a 20" cube for 15" drivers.

The more drivers = lower the power requirement for same SPL's. If you're going to gut your big tube then get more DVC 15". I think those or Tempests are a better driver for IB's that the BluePrints, given the Fs of each.

Yes I'd suggest a Behringer DSP1124P, just to do that final smoothing and cut any room induced peaks

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well if i could sell the big tube as is i'd have money to purchase at least dual tempests ad maybe the EQ unit. Having the gear housed in the other room will mean I won't have to worry as much about ugly lights etc so that opens pro gear up...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

thomas I was also wondering what I need to have for an opening into the HT room. Is there a rough forumla or guidelines on how large it needs to be? If I built a 20" cube with two tempests on each side how large an opening would I cut for the HT opening? I saw on your IB forum that you don't like to cover the opening...this shouldn't be a problem if I mount it in the corner but how critical is not covering it? What about those large grill covers for car speakers (the ones with the large grill not the mesh ones)

Question two (or am I up to 10 now)

Assuming I go dual tempests how high can I run these before crossing them over to the maggie 1.4's? Now that I have the TA-E I can adjust that point as needed? I see you have yours at 100hz...can I go higher then that? Is it adviseable in my case?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

It's not that I have a problem with covering the openings. It's that I've been too lazy to make any.

No real formula. If you make a 20" OD cube the opening should be a square equal to the inside dimension, so roughly 17" square if the walls are 1.5" material. Just make a 1"X2" frame cover with grill cloth and Velcro it to the wall. Certainly you can leave it open. My big IB has been operational for 2yrs with that gaping hole in the floor. It does intimidate the cat......

Wouldn't use a metal grill might buzz from the vibrations..

I run mine up to 100Hz, but remember they are centered between and inline with the front baffle of the mains, so no potential for any smearing of the stereo image. For an off axis placement I'd suggest 80Hz XO point.

If a some point you're feeling flush then copy the Linkwitz dipole woofer to augment the midbass on the 1.4's. Make 2 boxes use them as stands for the 1.4's

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Thomas I see that the 15" DVC is selling for $125 vs $150 for the Tempest...is there much difference in performance in an IB b/t these two units? I've been very happy with the single DVC in my sonosub but we're talking about something a little different here.

Comment

• AndrewM
                      • Oct 2000

Email Dan and find out if they have any B-stock Tempests for sale. That's how I bought mine, and for I believe $105 makes the deal that much better.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

thanks Andrew i'll give Dan a try.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"