X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

How about 4 Tempests? :-)

I know I asked about 2 Tempests. But what about 4 if an IB isn't an option? Wow, this is going to be some serious displacement! :B

Right now, I am considering 4 stacked sealed cubes. Might be an interesting setup. Volumn won't be ideal, but with 4 15 inch drivers, does it have to be? thinking 22-24" wide. Hight would be around 20-22". Depth, abou the same. Pretty much a 22" cube might work well, size wise.

Will smaller volumn hurt how low it will go to badly?

I think sealed to increase the tightness of the bass would be good. Good tight resolute bass is ideal for music or movies, IMO.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

Just my $.02, but when getting to that many drivers, I think I'd rather go with a couple higher-displacement ones. Two Blueprint 1503's would work well, maybe at opposing ends of a slightly larger cube (I think Thomas is embarking on such a project). Two of the 1803's would actually have more Vd than four Tempests, and would be great in that same size cube each. Either of these options would require some eq and good power, though.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jack Doug already has the 4 tempests.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thanks for the suggestion Jack, but the drivers are "in the house". The 4 Temptest project will happen. You know, I don't even know what a 1503 or 1803 is. lol.

But you see, Adire is a business partner of mine, and let's just say, I couldn't buy any other drivers like I did these Tempests. But then, I have been VERY happy with the 2 original Shivas, so I see the Tempests as an excellent next step to bass nirvana.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
          • Aug 2001

Ahh, got it. I've owned a few Tempests myself, and they give up very little ground to anything on the market, and none at all in sound quality. In fact, four Tempests can be wired together as a 4-ohm load with outstanding sensitivity, and without the absolute need for eq and monster amp the Blueprints would require.

A 22" cube will give you about 5ft^3 to play with, for a Qtc of .6 or so stuffed...should sound outstanding. Smaller sizes do cause the bass to roll off higher, and effect transient response, or tightness.

You know, I don't even know what a 1503 or 1803 is. lol.
          I envy you.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"