X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Is 8" too much?

I'm thinking about having the clearance between my 15" Tempest driver in a downward firing position and the floor be 8". Is this too much? If so, then I will have to cut down my legs. If not, I can save some cutting/sawing work. ThomasW has advocated in the past that clearance that equaled 1/2 the diameter of the driver would be good enough distance between driver and the floor (carpetted).

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I don't think there's too much to be gained by increasing it that much so long as there's enough clearence not to limit breathing room. If you wanted to try something try turing the sub upside down since this won't have any bottom for several feet then try with your 8" legs...as long as SPL meter was in the same place I'd suspect you wouldn't find much of a difference b/t the two. I think TV said that even a few inches should be enough at least according to his tests on the SVS subs. I've got 5" b/t my driver and the bottom base plate.

Comment

• Patrick Sun
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

The reason I ask is because I don't want to cut off 2" off my 6" table legs (like I did with my Sunosub I) when I put on the 2" roller casters. I'm getting lazy in my old age. So if I won't suffer any loss in bass quality by having the clearance be 8", I'll forego the sawing of the table legs. I figure with the larger 15" driver, I could use ThomasW's rule of clearance: it should be about 1/2 the width of the driver diameter. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Well if you don't mind having it that tall I don't see a problem.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Well Christine's never complained :B :W

Pat, I don't think it would be detremental at all. Conversely i feel if it is too low then the distance becomes more like a band pass design.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Pat
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I don't think it will be too much either.
            Basically I think that too little clearence is a problem because the driver can't push all the air it needs too, so that leads to some compression and the air that is trapped under the driver is effectively pushing back on the driver and not letting it use its full excursion.

Whoa...did I ramble on long enough???

Pat's Page
            Pat's Page

Comment

• Patrick Sun
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Woo Hoo! Looks like I get to go the lazy man route with less sawing.

Now, should I go with angled leg mounts or straight leg mounts (perpendicular - up and down)?

My Sunosub I has angled leg mounts, I'm just worried about the stress of the longer legs will have on the whole kit and kaboodle.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Go the straight up and down route :B

I feel it looks better like that. And it would be less stess at the mounting points.

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Bing, that's what I bought (haven't install them yet), and wanted a second opinion. I think it'll be less stressful with the straight leg mounts too. Thanks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Go for the stright legs they will last longer.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"