Addition to DIY Thread, AC-3 Upgrade for LD?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregg Loewen
    • Aug 2000

Addition to DIY Thread, AC-3 Upgrade for LD?

Just thought Id ask if anybody has some info about this and some links? I have surfed to some excellent sites but cant remember any at present.

I think this topic would be great to archive.

Gregg
  • GMan
    • Sep 2000

http://www.precisionlaserdisc sells the kits. I did this awhile ago, it works fine, and was relatively easy. They also sell an RF-Demodulator kit than can be installed with their AC-3 upgrade kit so that your LD player outputs a digital signal.

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
      • Aug 2000

the kits are really just $15 of rat shack parts with some instructions. I have seen parts lists and jpegs of instructions on line for the real DIYer.

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
        • Aug 2000

Here is a link to one site:

http://www.hooked.net/~prolan/index.html

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
          • Aug 2000

Here is a note I sent to 4 people that have emailed me this week alone relating to DIY AC-3. Id really like to get a nice DIY thread with lots of links and then be able to direct people to HTG for more information.

AC-3 upgrade is easy and lots of info on the WWW. Adding a bit stream output for DTS is also doable but much harder to find info on.

There are many DIY ac-3 sites out there (I’ve surfed them, but not recently), some even have pictures. All the sites usually have a parts list too. I have not found info on the DTS output but precisionlaserdisc.com offers a kit for that too.

Start at precisionlaserdisc.com, if doing it yourself you will be buying the same parts they use. The total cost from Rat Shack will be about $15. Precisionlaser charges $75-95? For their kit. This is for AC-3 only.

If I was doing it again I would buy a player with a digital out then just add the AC-3. Much easier and cost effective than adding both DTS and AC-3.

Again, not sure on the DIY AC-3 sites BUT THEY ARE OUT THERE!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"