X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Temple
    • Sep 2000

Parts Express Sub amp, any opinions?

Took a look at the 150 w at 4ohm subwoofer amp at Parts Express. Any opinions or anyone who has tried one before. I think its going to be this or the Audio File amp from Apex Jr (150w at 4ohm).
    The Audio File has had some good feedback from some people I can trust and believe in their opinions, but the Parts express amp would be nice becaues of the sponsorship of the site.

This will be powering a 22" cube Shiva 4" flared port sub taken from the Adire audio web site designs. I am trying this a first sub due to its' low cash outlay and to gain experience.

Thanks
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi mike either of these should do the job fairly well. Though looking at what PE has to offer I'd actually go for the next amp up the 300-800 since its got much better THD levels and has the crossover bypass so you're not cascading crossovers (if you intend to use the LFE out of your receiver this will give you better results) Its $40 more however so if cost is the bottom line the $99 unit will work fine. The PE amps look like they are built better then the Apex as well since the PE version both have real 5 way binding posts not the cheap spring clips and the detatchable powercord is standard not an extra.

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Good point Andrew. But please folks, if you buy this amp, use the click through banner at the top of the page, not the direct link to it Andrew posted. I doubt our sponsor can track purchases made through that.

I would really like to see some purchases credited to the site if you buy from them. It will make selling more advertising to them much more possible at the end of the first term, allowing us to keep our head above water.

Thank you,

Lex

Comment

• Mike Temple
        • Sep 2000

Thanks for the help, the only problem with Parts Express is that when I look at something, I keep going to the bottom of the page and find bigger and better parts recommended! I really want the 272 watt amp they have, I guess the upgrade bug might bite and I'll have to save for a little while longer.

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

When it comes to bass reproducion, if you have two amps of comparable quality, the bigger amp will make your sub sound better...and by better I mean tighter, more controlled, better impact. I'd spend the extra and go with the biggest one they have. Nice thing is, as you build bigger and better subs, you can always move the amp to them, with the small amp you'll probably outgrow it with the very next sub you build!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"