X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I screwed up!

While not a super DIY disaster, I had to re-locate the port hole on the rear panel of my SunOne speakers. I had a massive brain-fart and put the port directly behind one of the drivers, and that's a big No-No!

Okay, here are the pix of the relocation of the port hole on the rear panel of the SunOnes:

Photo 1: I use the original port hole to trace out the diameter I will need for the replacement MDF plugs.

Photo 2: Here's one of the plugs routed out by my trusty router and circle jig.

Photo 3: This is the test fit of the MDF plug into the original port hole. Pretty darn close fit!

Photo 4: After careful measuring of where the port hole needed to be in relation to the compartment behind tweeter, I draw the required hole needed for the new port location on the rear panel, and drill in the require pivot hole for the circle jig. This is very important to get right.

Photo 5: This is the plywood panel I'll be using to seal out the hole, and the glued areas for it. This will insure no airleaks through the old port hole.

Photo 7: Just a bit of weight placed on the glued plywood to cover up the hole while the glue dries.

Photo 8: More glue in the old port hole is applied now that the plywood's glue is dry.

Photo 9: The MDF plug is now glued in place.

Photo 10: To fill in the minor gaps between the plugs and the rest of the rear panel, I slap on some wood filler.

Photo 11: Once the wood filler dries, I use the orbital power sander to smooth out the surface.

Photo 12: After some power sanding, you can barely feel any difference in the surface where the plugs mate with the panel. It's now pretty smooth. Once I put on a few coats of primer and sand it, I doubt anyone would ever be able to tell there was a hole there in the first place.

Photo 13: Here's a shot of the inside part of the rear panel with the glued plywood panels in place.

Photo 14: I test out the fit for the ports in the new holes in this shot.

Photo 15: My cats inspect my handywork. My careful placement of that new port hole pays off as the rear panel now fits perfectly on the backside of the speaker. I'm done.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I screwed up!
    Expect to be shot at sunrise

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Patrick Sun
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

Is that your sunrise or mine? Yours - I have 2 extra hours of sleep!

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, we didn't specify what day or year, either. So consider yourself on probation!

And remember, that's how we all learn- by the occasional slip of mind or attention, and paying the price- more MDF please! If breathing MDF dust doesn't cure you of it, just remember this-

Measure three times, cut once.

I didn't make that up, but sure wish I'd thought of it a few times when I was younger...

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Patrick Sun
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

No wonder I screwed up, I only measured twice!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I measured 3 times, but it came up 10" each time.

Please blindfold him with speaker grill material first guys, it's only fitting!

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Patrick Sun
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Lex, you're not supposed to ADD the measurements together!

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Haha Patrick! So, you get your speakers straightened out ok now?

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                  • Jun 2001

put the port directly behind one of the drivers, and that's a big No-No!
                  >>>

Why is that?
                  pics

Comment

• Patrick Sun
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Lex, I made one change that definitely improved the audio quality, so it's getting close to finalizing the XO and then actually start on the veneering and painting of the boxes.

James, I believe that when you have a port right behind the driver, it no longer functions as a form of resistance (the plug of air in the port has an analogous component of resistance, as does the box itself, when you model the overall design of a speaker using circuit analysis techniques). So when the woofer is going in/out, there is no cabinet pressure forcing the air out through the port, rather the woofer's cone travel does all the work with the cabinet providing hardly any of the "perceived volume" to the driver. Think of it like a quasi-open-baffle effect for the driver. (I could be talking out of my butt, though I'm sure Thomas or Jon will come by and slap me around).

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Yes it's best to have the port located away from directly behind the woofer. That being said sometimes that's impossible to do. Case in point JonMarsh's X1-SLAMM clone bass bins. These are so small relatively speaking and the port so large, that the only possible place for the port was directly behind one of the woofers.

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"