X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Plans for Sunosub III? Need input.

Okay, while I'm waiting for my Tempest driver to show up, I notice that I have a 27" long piece of 24" wide sonotube laying around, so a lightbulb goes off in my head, and wonders if I dare make Sunosub III while I'm in the wait mode...

So here are the 2 plans that I've come up with, and I would like if we could come up with a consensus as to which plan would sound the best. To me the cost between the Shiva II and the Tempest is negligible ($25 difference). I'm using WinISD to model.

Plan A:

Driver: Shiva II (12")
    Internal volume 5.7 ft^3
    Internal height: 25" (1" of MDF endcap on each end).
    Tune: 22Hz
    Ports: Two 4" ports 21" long
    F3: 21 Hz

Plan B:

Driver: Tempest (15")
    Internal volume 5.7 ft^3
    Internal height: 25" (1" of MDF endcap on each end).
    Tune: 22Hz
    Ports: Two 4" ports 21" long
    F3: 23 Hz

The main trade-off of Plan A over Plan B is that I get 3dB more output with Plan B, but give up a little bit of low end (but I think this would still be really good for a HT sub).

I will be making a table top that's about 26" in diameter for this sub since it'll stand about 31-33" tall.

I'm leaning towards Plan B.

What say you?

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What do I say? I think you're nuts LOL Given that I've owned the 12" shiva and a Tempest clone I'd say build the Tempest sub. Are you going to run all three in one room? Why not play with a sealed design or something different?

Comment

• Patrick Sun
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

For a sealed sub, I'd just stick in some rubber balls into the port holes.

Comment

• Mike Temple
        • Sep 2000

I'd go for plan B, after all doesn't size matter lol. The extra SPL would be worth doing IMO just to see the difference from your earlier designs. These sonosubs seem to be the new HT "crack" with the masonry "dealer" hooking you by making you buy 12 feet of tube and everyone just saying "What the heck, it's just lying around I might as well use it"

good luck with the design, still working on my own ideas for the 15" Tempest

PS I think you're going to end up launching one of those rubber balls across the room and blowing a hole in something if you're not careful! LOL

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Mike LOL, that is too good, major visual on that!

Pat I would go the sealed sub route just because you've already got to kick ass ported designs. My friend brought over his 3 cubic ft 15" JL Audio sealed sub, and I certainly have to say it sounded best with music. For HT my ported 12 energy had a bit more slam (boom?) than his 15, but when we played music, no contest. It was one of those subtle things that, you never really noticed the sub sound, but rather you really felt it.

Bing
          Bing

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"