X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Aguilar
    • Jun 2001

Problems installing in-wall speakers

As my story goes...
    I just bought a new home and had included in my loan to have wiring and in-wall speakers placed in several rooms in my house. I also had about $8,000 worth of equipment included. Well, the guy who does the install stuff only installed wire and I am stuck doing everything else. I hate paying for things twice. Yes, I had my lawyer go after him, but to no avail.

Anyway, I got brave and ordered some in-wall speakers from HTD. I bought 4 pairs. I painted them today to match the walls. I mapped out where the first pair was to go and cut my first speaker hole. Right in the middle of the hole is a 2X6. My question is, since my speaker is only 2 1/2" to 3" deep, would it be a BAD idea to cut part of the 2x6 out? It is an exterior wall. This particular wall is two stories high and is vaulted. There is not a second story area in this room, it is just a vault. I thought I could use my drummel and gouge out a small area to accommodate the speaker.

Please give me your advise.

Jeff
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It's not a good idea is weaken any part of a loadbearing wall.

The easiest option is to simply move the speaker hole to one side or the other slightly to avoid any structural work.

If that's not an option then the complete thickness of the existing 2X6 must be removed, and install "headers & footers" spanning the space between the 2 adjacent 2X6's. This is how windows/doors are mounted. This retains the load bearing capacity of the wall in the area where the speaker is installed.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"