X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken Lopata
    • Aug 2000

Mounting HE15's and p.r.'s

Thomas, what size t-nuts and screw did you use to mount the HE15's and p.r.'s? Did you leave the rubber gasket on the HE15's? It seems to me the screws I've tried just pull throught the big rubber gasket. What type of rubber gasket did you use to seal between the frame and wood enclosure? The holes on the p.r.'s need a little drilling out to allow the screws to go through nice and straight. Is it o.k. to do this? Did you do this? Thanks a lot.

Ken
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ken

The rubber gasket is supposed to hide the tops of the screws. For the woofer prototype I just used drywall screws carefully driven in with a torque adjusted electric drill. The head of the screw ends up sitting underneath the top layer of the rubber gasket.

I didn't enlarge the PR holes. I did drilled slightly angled pilot hole in the cabinet for each screw. Also I took a matte knife and cut away the the thick paper gasket from around each screw hole, so it didn't interfere with the screw head. I used sheet metal screws 1-1/2" long for the PR's the size was #8 or 10, I think.

I used a closed cell gray foam tape 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide for the PR's. I used black 1/2" X 1/2" neoprene foam for the woofer. Both these items were bought at Lowe's.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ken Lopata
      • Aug 2000

Thomas, I found some nice 8-32x2" black allen head screws at True Value Hardware. They should work perfectly with 8-32 t-nuts all around. What would you torque these at to make an even airtight seal all the way around. Thanks.
      Ken

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Ken

The drill/driver doesn't have actual torque numbers just settings 1-6. I used #2, for wood screws not machine screws. I know from experience that this setting won't strip out in MDF.

Just make your's nice and snug not tight.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ken Lopata
          • Aug 2000

Thomas, do you know where in Denver you can find 10ga. speaker wire. Home Depot only goes to 12ga.

The 2" 8-32 black allen screws I found at Ace Hardware are really nice. I'm going to put a little Liquid Nails on the t-nut side that goes in the hole and then once I pound them in I'll cover the other side of the t-nut with it also. These things should never move.

Thanks, Ken

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"