X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

CLIO measurements of my 2 IB subs

As usual the page contains many graphic files. So have patience if you're using a land line....

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Wow Tom, those are impressive!
    You don't get much better than that.
    Too bad CLIO doesn't go below 20hz, it would be interesting to see how far down that flat response goes.

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pat

Jon didn't have enough space to pack the B&K mic and Hewlett/Packard preamp. As a result we were limited in what we could test. I know that with minimal EQ the larger IB can go flat to 10Hz.

CLIO itself is limited to 20Hz. So we'd need to use the B&K mic then make individual frequency measurements just using sine waves to verify the absolute low end output.

It's unfortunate your visit was a week early, the testing was quite interesting, but exhausting.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Yea, testing does get kind of monotonous.
        Thought about you guys when we stopped in Castle Rock on the way home last Friday.
        Would have been great if I could have helped out with some of the testing. I don't think my wife would have had any fun though

Pat's Page
        Pat's Page

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Note,

The 1/3 octave CLIO measurements are "only" to 20 Hz, but the swept sine measurements (more revealing and more difficult to look good on) are from 10 Hz to 200Hz. Note that the big IB system with very light EQ is down 3 dB at 12 Hz. This is still pretty much "state of the art" compared to anything you can buy or build, and it does it with out transient obscuring PR's or other tricks.

It's fun to crank up Kenny Loggin's on SACD and get both the full weight and clarity of the entire bass region on some of the newer cuts. We also experimented with the crossover points, moving down to 75Hz with good results.

My next assignment in the bass department is to hook up an HE-15 to a generator for a couple of weeks and see if it breaks in to something close to it's rated Far. Mulling over some possiblities for it with a sealed box operating near a Q of 0.5 with a Marchand Bassis, or a largish ported enclosure working more like my X-1's or the Aerial Acoustics SW12. Just looking for a better way to take advantage of it's long cone excursion and high power handling than the 3 PR system- which is a rather odd critter in my estimation.

Regards to all and a happy weekend,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TerryC
            • Jun 2001

John/Thomas

How did the HE-15 measure out?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Hi Terry welcome to HT-Guide

Please read Jon's post again.

We're working an a dedicated webpage that will contain a lot of hard data. When Jon's box design for the HE15 is built and tested, the info will be made available.

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                • Jun 2001

Thomas how do I read the graphs for SPL output?.. I don't really know what DBV is.
                Certainly you must be getting at least 130db@16Hz
                with your IB subs so you must have some really loud speakers to go with them.....what do you have?
                pics

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Hi James I was wondering when you'd find us

The CLIO measurement is in decibels. Note it's not targeting a max output.

Here's a photo of the left main, 93" tall, 32" wide, 4" deep. A technical description is in my profile

The 12 Shiva IB plays loud enough to crack plaster, knock stuff off shelves and resonate the entire 2500sq ft brick house with a 1500 sq ft basement. It's physically impossible to measure the max output without literally damaging the building, and probably blowing out the 55sq ft picture window in the HT :B

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• James W. Johnson
                    • Jun 2001

Gosh after seing what you have Thomas I really feel inadequate..........BUT BE FORWARNED , SHORTLY I TOO WILL HAVE SOME MASSIVE SPLS
                    I have been searching like mad looking for a super high SPL speaker to build , its too bad that their is not much to choose from. If I had the space I would love to have one of these systems, its capable of producing 140dBs from 34Hz on up from one meter....
                    JBL HLA Series 4895 and 4897A

pics

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

James,

It's not a competition, it's a hobby.....

I built those 12 years ago, they aren't high output speakers, no electrostatic is. But they have extremely low distortion as a result of the number of square feet of radiating area. So the sound is very very clean.

High end pro drivers offer extremely high output combined with great clarity. But they need a monsterously large room to do them justice. That makes them of limited use for the average HT user, unless that user is entertaining a few thousand close friends in an auditorium.

I had a friend in college with a real Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" system in his living room. They were similar to the speakers below but the bass bins were twice as large containing 2-15"s/side. They played so loud that the best listening position was literally the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street. :B

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• TerryC
                        • Jun 2001

Hi guys glad to be here Thomas, I consider you the top speaker builder on the net that I'm familiar with.

I was under the assumption that you built a HE-15 yourself? From Jon's post he only mentioned that the three PR's are strange nothing else.

Just wondering as I've been debating on buying one but wanted to hear from some experienced sub owners before I jumped in.

Thanks
                        Terry

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Terry

Thanks for the compliment

Yes I built one of the cube subs. It excels in the following areas; plays very loud, and handles extreme amounts of power for a relatively small but heavy enclosure. If these are the primary performance parameters you need/want in a sub then it should be given some consideration.

You might also consider carefully rereading the last paragraph of Jon's post....

Also please understand, Stryke is a partial sponser of this forum.

You may email me for further information
                          KloneAudio@worldnet.att.net

theAudioWorx
                          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Hello Terry,

The Stryke HE-15 is a very interesting driver; the question simply comes down to how to make the best use of it's prodigous power handling and extremely long cone excursion. Different values or desired results will result in different designs, with different trade-offs regarding the end results.

I'm very impressed with the overall construction of this driver, which is why I'm designing a new enclosure for it. Tom even coined the name for the project which I'm in the midst of developing; in deference to his creativity, I think I should let him be the one to disclose that, probably at the same time that we have actually built the first evaluation enclosure and have some test results. In the meantime, stay loose and stay tuned.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"