X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Temple
    • Sep 2000

Help on 15" Tempest w/ dual PR Sub, comments, advice needed

I am thinking of building a 15" tempest with dual PRs. The construction would be 3/4 MDF single layer with hardwood 1 x 1 stock glued at all seams and using either 2 x 2s across vert and horizontally as braces inside the cabinet as needed. (maybe 12 total)AKA Lexman on the Bracing thread Or using 2 MDF or plywood braces to opposing sides with the PRs and pieces in between facing towards the front mounted woofer, aka the Shiva white pages cabinet bracing.

First, any comments on the bracing. I know more is better but I am trying to keep the box as small as possible while still keeping it fairly rigid.

Second, I was thinking of a box around 24 x 24 x 24 for about 5.75 cu ft. after bracing and driver deductions. The box could be made smaller (gladly!!) but I wanted some opinions on the tuning point, and if this sounds viable.

A sonosub is out of the question, due to the SAF. I figure that if I build this thing, I can tell her it was a compromise and she has to accept it. I hope! LOL

Any help on modeling PRs would be greatly appreciated, As Winid doesn't use them and LSPCad (which I haven't really figued out as I have been using english measurements and the metric screws me up) doesn't either.

Thanks from the Reigning DVD Lotto Champion!!...LOL..
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Mike, welcome.....

PR's are something I don't do, sorry! I've only done one system using PR's, and it wasn't fun. That was many years ago, long before software based modeling was available.

So my suggestions are 2 fold. First if you are going to continue to make more boxes then just this one, buy BassBox 6 either the "Pro" version or the "lite" version. Both have excellent PR modeling capabilities. They are a pure "Windows" based programs not DOS, and are very easy to use. They are available here.

Or second if this is a one time deal, then email Dan Wiggins directally. He, or AdireAudio VP, Dr. David Hyre, are always more than happy to provide very specific details as to how to use their products.

support@adireaudio.com

I wouldn't recommend using MDF pieces as cross-bracing unless it's used like shown in the links on the bracing thread. Use plywood. MDF is too soft/flexible for this task. Also I'd use 1"X2" instead of 1"X1" stock.

Regards
    Thomas

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DanWiggins
      • Sep 2000

Mike,

With that internal volume, and with 5 pounds of stuffing, and twin PR-15s, I'd look at tuning to 20 Hz, via adding 335 grams to each PR.

What will you end up with? A 4th order system with a Q of 0.577, and an Fc of 20 Hz. In fact, this matches a theoretical 4th order Q=0.577 Fc=20 Hz within +/- 0.25 dB down to single digits... In other words, very good bass extension, and a nice tight sound thanks to the low Q of the overall design.

Hope this helps!

Dan Wiggins
      Adire Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hey, that masked man just appeared again. I wonder if he has a "faithful" companion? 8)

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Mike Temple
          • Sep 2000

WOW!

I was looking for help and what happens? Someone from the company you are doing business with helps out, without me having to contact them directly! THIS is one of the reasons why IMO Adire Audio is an incredible company. On many different boards I see posts from certain people working for companies including Adire, SVS and Stryke. I'm sure there are others but I'm not good remembering names.

No, I don't work for (hope you can tell by my newbie posts) these or any other HT company.

THESE are the companies HT lovers should continue to do business with.

These companies and other companies like Outlaw DESERVE your attention, loyalty and money for they have shown that they are true dedicated companies to both their product and to HT and music in general.

Thanks again Dan, and I will be contacting you again as I try and fine tune my project.

The reigning DVD Lotto champion (At least let me use the title for the week) LOL

Comment

• DanWiggins
            • Sep 2000

Mike,

Glad I can be of help. I try to cruise through most forums twice a week... If you are really in a hurry for an answer, feel free to drop me a note at dwiggins@adireaudio.com. I usually answer within one business day (yeah, I try not to work on the weekends...).

Dan Wiggins
            Adire Audio

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"