X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The new "Mini-Me" IB sub

After having the 12 shiva IB operational for a year I'm completely spoiled with regard to the quality and quantity of bass available from IB designs. In my family room I had a floor mounted slot loaded sub many years old. So last week it was replaced with a 4 Shiva IB, hence the name Mini-Me

Here's a link to more photos and info

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Very cool Thomas! You and Trev are the bass kings here! Hell, knock those end panels out and add 2 more.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I wish I could put more woofers on the end panels Lex, but unfortunately the box is only 9" wide/deep (this was necessitated by the joist spacing)

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thomas why is this box sealed? I thought you needed the bottom to be open to be an IB design..isn't this just a sealed sub with four drivers?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Andrew

The 'top' of the box is open. It's aligned with a hole cut in the floor above the box. I didn't include any pics of the outlet because I took the photos at night, and couldn't get a good focus on the inside of the box looking down the opening.

In an outlet box/mainfold array/pleneum or whatever you want to call these designs, the only opening is in the room where you want the sound to go.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Ok I get the picture now So how would you compare the output of the mini me to the big brother...also how would a couple of tempests compare?

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Gotcha Thomas. All I know is, if you go to Thomas's, watch your step, LOL.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

It will be interesting to hear how these sound this weekend with the Whisper Clones. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to get Thomas to hook up the used 8002 Aragon he's got lying around to see how it does on the bottom end. ;0

It's been too long since I've been in Denver; I'm way overdue for remedying that oversight.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Andrew

The Mini-Me is pretty stiff competition for the big IB. Remember when the 12 Shiva's was built it was a total/complete experiment. No one could provide any info as to design/performance/etc, so I opted for the overkill approach. The mini-Me has a much bigger outlet 28.5"X9.25" compared to the 13.5"X13.5" for the big IB. I think the bigger outlet helps with the output from the 'smaller' IB.

We'll be doing some comparison measurements this weekend. I'll post some output charts of the 2 IB's vs a Stryke cube which will be completed today

2 Tempests 'roughly' equal 4 Shiva's in an IB. I can't make abstract comparison of 2 Tempests in an EBS configuration vs 4 Shiva's in an IB. That would need to be a head to head in room comparison

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

thanks I'm just thinking for future subs I build. If the house we buy has a suitable layout an IB sub is a definate posibility...I love my sonosub but it sure takes up a lot of room that the IB could solve.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

I must say with in all my years in audio, nothing I've heard comes close to the overall performance if the IB designs. So if building one is a possibility then go for it

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Pat
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

After experiencing the Mini-Me and 12 Shivas Dancing I wish I could go with an IB sub.

Here is a photo that I took from the top looking down into the Mini-Me.

Tom, thanks for letting me "hear" it for myself. :B

Pat's Page
                        Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

thomas what sort of guidelines do you need to follow for the opening into the room? what about placement of the opening etc.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Pat

My pleasure Thanks for the photo....

Andrew

Start here

I'll post more specific info as time permits. We're doing alot of speaker testing this week

The optimal position is centered between the mains.

theAudioWorx
                            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"