X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Cable Construction -need a little help

I want to run a wire (standard audio cable with RCA type plugs) from the audio out of my PC to an input on my HT receiver. The problem is that the PC is about 60 feet away from my receiver. I've decided the easiest way to accomplish this is to run a long RCA cable through my attic and into my HT room.

I could go to my local HT stores and buy bulk cable for $90/foot but that kind of quality isn't really necessary. I just want to share my MP3 collection on my PC with my home theater.

I went to Home Depot to check out their bulk wire selection. Most of their wire runs around .18 cents per foot (my kind of prices!). And RCA plugs are about $5.00.

My question is this: Which type of cable do I need? The guys at Home Depot had no idea. Most of the stuff they had looked like RG-6 satellite cable (which doesn't look like it would work in my application).

Also, do any of you have any links to websites that may help in the construction of my cables? (I can't imagine it be very difficult) Perhaps a link to a good online vendor of inexpensive bulk cable?

Thanks in advance

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi

You can use inexpensive shielded cable and get good results. Check your local Radio Shack to see if they stock RD-58AU. This is a small stranded coax that should be $.25/ft. Be sure to get a cable with a stranded center not a solid center. Any inexpensive RCA's will work.

Chris White as a tutorial page for cable making. He uses expensive stripping and crimping tool combined with braided jacketing and colored shrink tubing to create audio jewelry. The process is similar and you can do this using a exacto knife and wire cutters/strippers if you're careful

Use a razor knife/exacto tool to strip/remove the outer sheath. Peel back and twist together the braided shield. Then strip the center. Solder the center strand to the center pin in the RCA and solder the shield to the ground.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I replied to Sili in email before the thread. My choice for component parts differs from the Canare route, and I have to say personally, unless your going to build quite a few, that purchasing the special stripper, probably isn't the best suggestion. It's a neat little deal I guess. But they say you really need that with the Canare wire. I suppose you need their connectors as well.

I could probably fix something up using standard wire, and my good connectors, but the connectors alone raise the price of the project. It could be reasonable, but perhaps not "cheap".

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I wasn't advocating the Canare equipment, althought through the years I've found it to be pretty high quality stuff. Just using Chris's site as a basic "how-to" for making interconnects. As I stated in my post, this can be done without any specialized equipment with the exception of a soldering iron, and there are some RCA's that simply have all screw-on connections

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"