DIY kits...for mains...any recomendations?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

DIY kits...for mains...any recomendations?

After looking at all the links ThomasW posted for kits...I honstly don't know how to choose a kit.

Currently the mains I have are kind of frankenstiens. The only things that are original are the woofer and the enclosure, everything else has been replaced. Even the enclosure has been stiffend up a bit

The tweeters are Vifa D25SF-04 and the mids are a generic fiberglass mid from Parts Express or MCM Electronics, I can't remember which. Crossover parts were ordered from North Creek (Solen caps and air core inductors).

I actually don't mind how they sound...but can't help but think I can do better.

I keep telling myself that I will never buy a commercial speaker again...but I am thinking about just breaking down and buying some Dunlavy SC-I's.

Anyway sorry to ramble on...How can I figure out what I should build? Keep in mind this project is probably a good 6 months to a year away (I like to do lots of research:B).

Thanks

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Pat

Hey how about a little help

What's the approx. budget?
    What size cabinets.
    Do you want di/bipolar?
    Are you going to build the cabinet, or do you want something preassembled?

Just some ballpark info will go along way toward targeting a appropriate design.

We can SMOKE the Dunlavy design for a fraction of his price :B

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

We can SMOKE the Dunlavy design for a fraction of his price:B
      Thomas...somehow I knew you were going to say something like that:B

What's the approx. budget?...let's say $3-500 per speaker...I don't have to build all 5 at once
      What size cabinets?...Not Whisper size:B...um...let's say 1-2.5 cu.ft. (I have a capable sub, so they don't have to be full range)
      Do you want di/bipolar?...No
      Are you going to build the cabinet, or do you want something preassembled?...I can build the cabinet as long as it is not too intricate

Pat's Page
      Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

How about a monopolar ribbon? Something like these.

This website is for sale! vmpsaudio.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, vmpsaudio.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Checkout the "monitor series"

BTW, we can scratch build them for less than the cost of the VMPS kits. I know where to get the ribbons at discount

Or does something a little more exotic interest you :B

Click on the "420" link. Now what you will see are diploes, but they can be build monopolar! Would they cost $1500ea? Not on your life!!!!

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

I am not opposed to a ribbon...but I don't think I have ever heard one.

Of all the kits you listed this one appealed to me the most. The price of the tweeter scared me off.

Pat's Page
          Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The Ravens are a true "ribbon" tweeter. And reports are that they do indeed sound wonderful. A little fragile though.....

The B&G ribbons are more "stout". They are a magnetic-planar ribbon(not a true ribbon). We can get the 22" long one for the same price as the Raven #1.

The B&G RD-22c goes down to 150Hz. So a single 6.5" or 8" woofer as a filler driver to link up with the sub will do the job.

Just something for you to ponder :B

FIY, ribbons sound much like planar speakers. Tight, fast, with an "ease", not available from dones/cones.

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Sounds interesting

How would a 22" tall tweeter integrate as a center channel? I have a 50" RPTV, and currenly the center is on top of the tv angled down.
              I am envisioning a 28"-35" tall speaker standing upright on top the the tv:?

What woofer would we be looking at?
              Focal, Scan-Speak...???
              My current center uses a 6.5 Vifa...

Pat's Page
              Pat's Page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2000

Thomas, I would follow you to HI-FI hell so long as you keep exposing and feeding me these awsome speaker designs. It's like I have been shown how to see.

Bing
                Bing

Comment

• Pat
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Bing, I think you better get in line behind Joey and ME :B

Pat's Page
                  Pat's Page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Pat... I'm right behind you guys, pulling speaker cords LOL

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• KennyG
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Sep 2000

For the very top, it's hard to beat a good ribbon. They have a crystal clear finesse about them that's very sweet.

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Pat

The 22" is a wide range driver not simply a tweeter like the Raven.

The frequency response on the "small" B&G ribbon is 150Hz-18.5Khz. So it's both a midrange that goes pretty low, and a tweeter. If you think you'll need something above 18.5Khz. We can find a leaf supertweeter for a reasonable price. I'd check though many people, myself included can't hear that high.

If you want to "self-test" download the tone generator program that's in the first post in the "DIY resource thread". Start at 10Khz and go up, see what the upper limit of your hearing is.

I can't "post" the price on the B&G ribbons. So I'll send you info via email in the morning.

You can choose any woofer you want. I recommend one of the ScanSpeak drivers. They seem to have a little more punch, than the Etons. I haven't used any Focal woofers.

For a center channel, you lay it on its side. Go back to the B&G link and look at the "220" speaker. That's their center channel. We can copy it.

Bing

Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha. Welcome to the dark side! :B

Yes, I'll send you the B&G info as well

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Pat there's always the easy way out...buy a pair of the Magnepan MMG's for $500 with the 60 day trial period and upgrade plan Thanks Thomas for pointing me to these. I've only had them two days but so far they are fantastic.

Comment

• Pat
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2000

Ok...so if we use the 22" B&G horizontally as a center, do we need a 6.5 driver on each end?

If that is the configuration then should it be identical for the L&R?...I am thinking yes...

Something like the R30 in-wall, minus the dome tweeter.

Pat's Page
                            Pat's Page

Comment

• Pat
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2000

Sure Andrew, now that I am thinking about DIY you have to throw the Maggies into the mix:?

Can you describe the difference in sound between your Energy's and the MMG's...I know it's difficult but please try

Pat's Page
                              Pat's Page

Comment

• Bing Fung
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Aug 2000

Thanks Thomas! When you say ribbons can be fragile.. In what way? Do they not tolerate over driving, or amp clipping?

Bing
                                Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Pat

No need for a woofer top and bottom. The main reason for MTM design is to have the drivers acoustically "couple". 22" is too far apart for this to occur.

I'd just make a mirror image pair. Ribbon on one side of the cabinet, woofer either under it if height isn't a problem or beside it if you want to keep the cabinet short.

There is no reason to use a dome tweeter with these. A leaf supertweeter is the way to go for the "mains". I wouldn't worry about HFE for the "effects" speakers.

Yes the "in-wall" mounting of the rears is a interesting option.

I'll send you a link to a personal site where someone is using a 7.1 (I think) setup with these drivers.
                                  It will be send out later today. This in the only post I have time for this AM

Bing

"True" ribbons like the Raven, or Decca, are true tweeter. They aren't tolerant of any low frequency info. So they need steep XO slopes. Also they won't tolerate ANY amp clipping. They have replacement ribbons available they are about $25ea. The Magne-planar ribbons like the B&G are much more tolerant of LFE. They are in essence a tweeter, midrange, and semi-midwoofer, all in one.

TO ALL

The MMG's are the "Buy of the Century" @$500/pr. Nothing comes even close. But you need to understand they are more critical of room placement than a "box" speaker.

theAudioWorx
                                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Pat "you got mail"

Comment

• Pat
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2000

Thanks Andrew!

Pat's Page
                                      Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

So pat have to managed to hear Maggies yet? Decided what you're going to do?

Comment

• Pat
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2000

Nope...had to work last weekend...doesn't look good for this weekend either.

I really want to hear the maggies and something with a planar ribbon before I decide. I think I can get both of those done in Des Moines...I just have to find time to get there.

Pat's Page
                                          Pat's Page

Comment

• Pat
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2000

Thomas or anyone...
                                            Opinions on Newform Research?

Pat's Page
                                            Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Hi

John Meyer's products get good reviews. I've never heard any.

They are a little pricy, $1040 for just the 45" ribbons. All are monopole only. 3db more efficient than the B&G models. The 30" ribbons cost as much as the B&G 50" "deals".

These tend to be tall, the 30" ribbon model (too short a sweet spot I think), is 61" tall. The 45" ribbon one is 75" tall. Depending on the distance from the listener, these speakers actually may need to be angled down for best results.

The actual layout of the speakers (ribbon stacked on top of box), seems to me, too prone to the ribbon getting accidentally damaged.

theAudioWorx
                                              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"