X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Video Screen

Well, I sold my motorized Draper screen monday...and went into an immediate panic. I had no screen!
    I had decided I could build a better screen than Draper, one that is maybe as good as a Stewart.
    I went to Lowe's and bought some 1X2 hardwood for a frame, and a 4X8ft sheet of peg board.
    I glued and screwed the 1X2 hardwood into a 47X82" frame with a center support. Then I glued and screwed the peg board onto the front of the frame. I then routered around it to remove the excess peg board.
    Today I purchased a 56" wide roll of artist canvas at one of the local artist supply shops.
    After 2 hours of stretching and stapling I have a very smooth surface.
    My daughter has been asking to watch "Almost Famous" for the last 2 nights, so even though the screen surface is only primered right now we decided to watch it anyway...the canvas comes with an acrylic white primer on it, and I must say, the picture looked very good as is, it already looks as good as the Draper...maybe better!
    Everything just fell into place, my screen paint was delivered today, so tomorrow I'll be laying on 2 coats of "ScreenGoo".
    It looks so good now I almost hate to paint it, but the roll of canvas was 6 yrds long, so I have plenty left if I don't like the results of this screen paint.
    Lastly I built a "frame" for the screen. I bought several pieces of 1 1/8 corner trim (it's "L" shaped) 4 pieces were cut to fit around the screen, then 4 more were cut to sit "back-to-back" on the first 4...this gives we a 2 1/4" border around the screen (screen area is actually 45X80") I then covered the border with black felt. The back-to-back area of the corner trim are glued and staples together, this area also forms the lip that is screwed to the sides of the screen.
    I have a total of $256 in this screen, the screen paint was 160 of it. If this paint is correct this screen will be every bit as good as my friend's $1,400 Stewart studiotek 130.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

JonMarsh has an interesting DIY screen. He made an oak frame then used a matte white formica as the screen material. It's a bulletproof design. Just clean with a little 409

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

That's the trouble with pesky best friends that beat you to the punch to talk about your own projects!

Kenny, what is "Screen Goo"? Is that it's real name, or some insider stuff you know about from your Navy days?

My screen is probably pretty weird by most people's standards- it's a 16X9 format, 72" diagonal, built with a blond oak frame, tapered to the outside (L&R) edges, and supported by two laiminated spars roughly coming from the screen at the 1/3 sections down to a platform base, with square section legs front to back, also solid blond oak, and a platform shelf running between the two spars- which could be used for a center channel speaker support. It's on furniture ball caster's, can be rolled around and stored out of the way- they way my room is laid out right now, for speakers and all, it would have to be moved in front of the fireplace. But, that's easy to do because of the design.

I'll do a photo and see if I can get ThomasW to host it. What I'd like to do someday is get a DALITE high power perm snap screen surface, and cut it down to mount on this frame. Either that, or move to a bigger place and get a permanent 96"52 DA-LITE screen. 'Course, it would help to have a projector, too.

My 400Q looked pretty good on this setup. I helped a guy with a 10HT setup in San Jose, someday I'm going to get to check it out here. We tried my Radeon PC on his setup, it was pretty righteous.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

ScreenGoo is the paint that KBK has developed over at avs, and this looks like some very good stuff!
        Yes please post some pictures of that screen it sounds very interesting. I'm thinking of getting Bob Wood over here to do the same for me, it'd be alot easier to understand how this was done if pictures were added.
        Today I cleaned out half of my garage (I have a wall down the center that seperates it a half!)
        Washed the ceiling, walls, floor and sawhorses that screen will sit on (paint overspray is heavy and can pull dust off the ceiling & walls) installed extra lighting, clean dust off air hose and spray gun. Tomorrow mourning all I have to do is wet the floor (keeps dust from being kicked up) and go to it!!!
        By the way, someone is selling a large chunk of Stewart screen over at the avs forum...I think it's 120X69...someone else is selling a Stewart 96X54" stewart frame...need a good Stewart screen at a better than used price??? I know frame can be gotten for $150 and that includes shipping that 65lb monster.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Thanks for the tips re AVS!

Sounds like you're ready to go to town!

I just got back on the air at home, re-setting up my network connection on WIN XP; it lost the settings during the install. Remarkably, that's about the only thing that got hosed. Now I've got to see if I can get my USB film reader gizmo to work under XP.

I must be some kind of stupid masochist playing around with a beta OS on my main desktop. But it's been pretty solid so far, and has repaired itself when any glitches have occurred. I don't know if I'm ready for an OS that's smarter than I am. But I think it's an overdue concept. Film at 11, with any luck.

-Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

The paint job turn out exceptionally well, the first two coats were touch-n-go, I had a couple spots that I wasn't happy with, and didn't thin the paint enough, I was afraid of adding to much water or flow release. (this paint is very thick) so my spray gun's pattern was to narrow. The first two coats had good coverage, but it didn't lay down like I wanted. So I put the screen out in the sun for a "quick" dry, then did alittle finger sanding on the spots. Then put on one last good coat, this time I mixed it the way I wanted without regard for over use of water or flow release...PERFECT, a nice wide spray pattern...first pass was vertical, second was diagonal, and the last pass was horizonal. Layed it flat for two hours, then out into the sun for some quick dry.
            The first nights viewing was little disappointing, the gain was alittle high for my taste, but the paint is now starting to cure, the gain has dropped noticeably in these last two days, and the paint is beginning to tighten up, many little imperfection are now gone, even the texture of the artist canvas is very diminished.
            The picture is outstanding. It is hands down better than the Draper it replaces...is it as good as a Stewart???I can't tell, I have a friend with one, but without living with it, it's impossible to know.
            However, at an $1,100 difference I'll take the DIY screen every time.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Your last sentence is really hard to argue with, Kenny- that was part of my own rationale. I never totalled up the cost in materials, but I remember three trips to home depot, one I spent about 85$, another about $44, and the last for casters was about $25. Course, it helped already having a saw, router, and trim bits!

Worked most of the weekend, travelling on Wednesday, hopefully will get pictures done next weekend.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Obi-Wan
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"