Sonotube Sub Construction ......... Started! :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stoopalini
    • Aug 2000

Sonotube Sub Construction ......... Started! :)

Well, almost a year after purchasing my Shiva, I finally started construction on my sonosub :B

I'm building it at my brothers house because he has a nice wood shop setup.

Since the sonotube could only be purchased in a 10' section, we decided to go ahead and build 3 of them. 1 for me, 1 for him, and the 3rd .....?? haven't figured that out yet.
    Maybe you'll see a post for a Sonotube enclosure for sale soon??

Anyway, I thought that cutting the sonotube was going to be the hardest part, but we devised a way that did it pretty easily.
    We cut the MDF inner end caps 1st, and then used some of the scraps from that to build a sonotube guide. I can't tell you how easy it was to cut the tube.

Here is the process:
    1. 1st, we setup the guide using 2 scraps of MDF and a 2x4 for a rear guide
    2. 2nd pic is Todd (my bro) lining up a piece of tube
    3. Then there's me spinning the tube around to get a nice even cut
    4. last, but not least, there's a finalized piece of tube with the inner endcap pushed in

So far, we have all the caps (inner & outter) and sonotube cut.
    We started working on the bottom caps by screwing them together, and cutting out the holes. We got as far as the speaker hole (which was the hardest) and the terminal cup hole.
    We had to call it quits around 8:45pm (actually it was 9:45pm because we forgot to move the clocks :E ) because his kiddies were going to bed and the saws/sanders were not considered to be soothing sounds ..... :roll: - LOL

Hopefully, we'll be able to finish the construction tonight and test it out.
    Now I need to start thinking about what to make the finish out of ..... paint, vener, carpet hmmmm?????

Thomas.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Looks like you're well on your way to bass heaven. One sub for each boat and one for the house :B
    Glad you "trick" for cutting the tube worked well.
    The easiest thing to cover the tube with is a tube stretch material. I can't remember the name but it's sold at fabric stores. The actual use is for the necks of turtle-neck sweaters. It's ribbed and expands a tremendous amount
    Please keep us informed as to your progress

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

I am trying to figure out what function the bicycle and boat play in this situation. Best I can tell, you hook a blade to the bike, and then you run over the bike with the boat. The impact from it, makes a perfect cut on the sonotube. That's it, right?

Lex

Comment

• Stoopalini
        • Aug 2000

LOL! You got it Lex. It's called the "Alternative method to circle cutting"

My brother, Todd, has 6 kids; that's right, I said "6 kids!" So you can understand the need for a boat (or 2 of them ) and a few bicycles ... hehe

Anyway, we finsihed the subs and I have mine hooked up to the Adcom GFA-545. I gotta say, it sounds great! The low extension is just phenominal. My system has a completely different sound to it now. It's not that it's that much louder, but just so much fuller and warmer.

I haven't taken any field measurments yet, but hope to do it this weekend. I've watched a few movies so far, and feel that the break-in period is probably over.

How much time do you guys suggest for a new sub break-in?

I will eventually get a good mono amp that can push somewhere close to 400 watts at 4 Ohms. This way, I can wire the Shiva up in parallel.
        Then I can move the Adcom to my mains and be that much closer to ditching the Yami receiver and moving towards a pre/pro setup.

I'll take some pics this weekend, and post them up so you can see my handy work. It's nothing pretty (yet) as I haven't put a finish on it. I was thinking of a glossy black base, with some sort of textured paint over it. I dunno, we'll see what I come up with.

Thanks for EVERYONE'S help! I definitely could not have done this without the assistance of HTG's members.

I can now enjoy "The Lost World - DTS" to it's fullest extent :B

Thomas.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"