X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Sunosub II to be fired up tonight.

I finally get to move Sunosub II into the living room tonight. I've been waiting for the paint to dry (I've come to the conclusion that I suck at spray painting, and just covered up my errors with a silver colored spray paint that gives a hammered metal look for the top endcap).

Sunosub II specs:

10 ft^3 internal volume
    24" wide sonotube (around 41" long internally)
    One 6" port 22" long (tuned to 16.5Hz)
    1 Tempest driver wired as a 4 ohm load

I've got the construction pix, but need to organize them (hopefully I can post some shots from my new website - finally gave in and signed for a more permanant "patcave.com" website with 500MB of webspace - needed all that space for all my DIY construction pix).

Stay tuned!

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

I feel like another big doofus head because I was having problems getting any output from the driver. I checked the amp, the receiver, the wiring, everything I could think of. Finally I resigned myself to having to remove the driver and making sure I could get it to make some vibrations going from a known good amp source directly, bypassing the terminal cup connection. Well, I discovered that I had wired one of the driver's terminal out of phase with the other terminal on the terminal cup, so of course I would get no vibrations from the driver. The two parallel connections effectively cancelled each other out at the magnet side. Doh! Once I corrected my mistake, Sunosub II came to life.

Here's some preliminary numbers (adjusted) for Sunosub II

Near field

Hz SPL
    10 94
    12 91.5
    15 92
    17 96
    20 99.5
    22 101.5
    25 102
    28 104
    32 105.5
    36 106.5
    40 107.5
    45 108
    50 107.5
    56 107.5
    63 107.5
    71 107.5
    80 107.5
    89 106
    100 107
    112 103

The 1 meter response looks pretty terrible right now:

Hz SPL
    10 81
    12 89.5
    15 91
    17 87
    20 87.5
    22 87.5
    25 87
    28 88
    32 85.5
    36 89.5
    40 92.5
    45 94
    50 96.5
    56 100.5
    63 98.5
    71 94.5
    80 93.5
    89 92
    100 91
    112 95

Comment

• Stoopalini
      • Aug 2000

I'm looking at your frequency response trying to figure out how to read it.

I assume that idealy you would want the same dB level across all the freq's, right?
      And naturally the lower frequencies will have a dB drop due to ??? (wave length, or our hearing limitations maybe?)

So, are the fluctuations in your sub's dB level, at different Hz, due to room issues?

These may be pretty simple questions, but I'm trying to gain some more knowledge about how this all works so I can have a full understanding when I start mine later today.

Thomas.

BTW: I checked out your site, and man, those subs look Great! If mine comes out even 1/2 as nice, I'll be a happy camper!

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

A relatively flat response +/-3dB is usually a decent benchmark to shot for. As the frequencies go towards 20Hz, there will be a drop off due to enclosure tuning and driver limitations. My 1 meter measurement does show the effects of my room and how it accentuates the 50Hz range.

Here's an interim photo of Sunosub II. I think I'm going to ditch the silver silk covering and go with black ribbing for a better form-fitting look to it.

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

Great Job Pl@!

I like the look, it reminds me of a Pop can in the buff

Bing
          Bing

Comment

• Stoopalini
            • Aug 2000

Thanks Pat, that makes sense.

I say keep the silver cover and just get a "Coors Light" decal ..... LOL!

On a serious note, I do like the wheels/casters you have on the legs. That must make it a LOT easier to manuver around.

Thomas.

Comment

• Lexman
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2000

No Thomas, that's the water heater from "Lost in Space". Danger Will Robinson, Danger! Eminent low frequency attack! lol.

Good job Pat! It's a fresh and interesting look at an old friend.

Lex

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"