X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clyde
    • Oct 2002

better idea (1055) or better off (1066)

Ok... [assumption alert!] considering the 1055 is the low power reciever with the same internals (pre /pro section) as the 1066 and has the tuner section and is cheaper than the 1066... what is the pitfall / logic to getting a 1055 instead of a 1066? I would be able to get a nice 200 watt two-channel amp to drive the mains (for two-channel music ) and just use the 1055 amp to run the center and rears?

If I got the 1066, I would have to get a seperate tuner (not a priority, but I do listen to it occasionally for news and sports), and a 5 channel amp. My rears and Center are small, so the power requirements are low. So, while this option is easily preferred, it is quite a bit more expensive.

Currently, I have two-channel system that I want to upgrade to a hometheater setup. My current amp is 200watts. I have an old outboard Technics SH500 for dd & dts and run the center and rears to a cheap Sherwood reciever.

Is the 1055 the exact same as the 1066 from the pre-pro section?

In the future - everything will work.
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Our buddy and Rotel-King Andrew will show up shortly and share his experiences. He originally had a 1066 and replaced it with a 1055. He also shared his views in a thread here...do a search and you're be sure to find it!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

Basically, Andrew felt that there was no noticable difference in the pre/pro section of the 1055. Rotel says there is a difference, but acknowledged that it might not be noticable in all set ups. At least, I think that's what it was. Toss in the fact that the 1055 is less expensive and also has the power amp side, and it seems to be a bargain. Also, I think the Rotel's amps might be assignable, but am not sure in this regard.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• Clyde
        • Oct 2002

Thanks... I did a search and could not find any explicit detail of the differences between the 1055 and 1006 (parts, not just functions).

What is meant by "assignable"? Has this feature been tested and confirmed - or is it still rumour and conjecture?

If there is *not* an assignable feature, is this now a pitfal to the 1055 option of using an external two-channel amp to drive the front mains?

Woud I loose the ability to have a master volume control over the front mains speakers?

I would like to make sure I can power my larger fronts with a good 200 watt amp with out loosing the remote volume and integrated pre/pro aspect - whether listening to two-channel sources or multi-channel.

Thanks!

Chris

Comment

• sdecker
          • Jun 2002

Clyde,

I have the 1055 paired up with a RB-985mkII amp and it sounds great. The 1055's R/L amps are reassigned to power the center backs.

Great sounding combo, imho. I have all Klipsch speakers and love the the speakers match with the 1055. The 1055/985 combo sounds much better, at least to me, than the Denon 3802/Acurus A250/A100x3 combo that I previously had.

The only quirk I have with the 1055 is, that its difficult to calibrate with VE or Avia. The internal testtones are much easier to work with and seem to work well both for HT and for music.

Hope this helps...

Earle

Comment

• Clyde
            • Oct 2002

Ahh.... very helpful ! Thanks.

So - Assignable means you can assign speaker outputs - front mains to a new direction. So instead of front mains, they are assigned to power rear centers.

I would assume that I could assign one of the channels to single rear center?

Additionally, we can now confirm that assignable is a feature. I would also assume that the pre-out to your external amp is a variable out - this would allow you to level match the volume via a test tone. And as you raise the volume on the remote, it would raise the volume on the internals proportionately with the pre-out to the external amp?

Thanks - so, why would anyone want the 1066? :P :!:

Comment

• sdecker
              • Jun 2002

Clyde,

The only option for the amp reassignment is having the front amps power the Center backs. You have the option or 1 or 2 center back speakers.

Yes the preouts are variable. When you raise the volume on the remote, all channels volume increases proportionately with all the pre-outs to the external amp.

I agree, since most people will never hear a difference between the 1055 and 1066, so save alittle $$$.

Earle

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Thanks guys for covering this topic so nicely while I was away. Bascially I agree with everything that's been said since as mentioned I've owned both the 1066 and 1055 and didn't really notice a difference in sound quality between them when used as a pre amp (I haven't used the internal amps on the 1055)

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

One more thing I don't think has been mentioned is that the 1066 has no tuner.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• sdecker
                    • Jun 2002

The internal amps of the 1055 are real solid. They are rated at 75 watt/channel x 5 with all 5 channels driven. Most people could easily just use the 1055's amps and everything would sound great, imo.

The tuner is nice. Seems to work fine, but i never really listen to the radio. The RDS feature works great on stations that transmit the info. Thats really all I have to say about the tuner.

One of my favorite features of the 1055/1066 is the ability to bump up the subs/center/surrounds independently during use and having them automaticlly return to your default settings when the source changes.

Having the ability to set a user default setting is cool. Nice to be able to get to known calibration with just a couple of remotes clicks.

Fire away with any more questions?

Earle

Comment

• sdecker
                      • Jun 2002

One more thing,

Get a nice 2 channel amp and you have the 7.1 capability and great sound quality.

I have never listened to the Denon/Yamaha flagship receivers but Im willing to bet that my under $1700 1055/985 combo sounds as good. At least in imo

Until my speakers are upgraded, which is not going to happen in the near future, there would be no real benefit to upgrades in the electonics end. I figure that I would have to spend over $3000 for speakers, to be a "real" sound upgrade.

Earle

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                        • Oct 2002

I second sdecker here.

Just got a RB-1050 (2X70) for my 2 back centers. More then enough power for those. Wait until you will hear Gladiator opening fighting scene in 7.1...you will never wants to go back to 5.1... :LOL:
                        To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• sdecker
                          • Jun 2002

Ok

Now I've spent some time playing with Denon 5803. After about a 1/2 hour with it(at Tweeter) I really think my Rotel combo sounds better, at least to me. :LOL: :LOL:

Im sure I could be very happy with a 5803, but for $4200 8O why get a receiver. The Rotel combo seems smoother at higher volumes.

Nice to know that you can still get quality sound without having to spend obscene amounts of $$$. Sorry Denon but $4200 for a receiver is obscene.

Earle

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"