X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregg Loewen
    • Aug 2000

Best Way To Cut Sonotube?

Im getting ready to complete my sonotube. I am trying to figure out how to get the best / straightest cut of the tube. I can cut the 2 internal braces to the correct length and place them inside the tube then install the internal caps. I have about 66" of tube and will be using about 56 inches. So, what is the best way to cut the tube? Jig saw, router (if so how?), other ideas?

I used a circ. saw on my last tube, while it did the job it didnt give me the straightest cut.

Thanks again and again,

Gregg
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

What we did with Joey's was to glue one endcap in place, then measure the distance for the height and placed the other cap with a few screws (no caulk or glue). Then use a flush cut bearing bit in the router to make a flush cut with the endcap. Very fast and easy. I'm sure that there are pictures and text detailing this on the Joey6P website.

Others use a wide piece of paper as a guide to scribe a line around the tube then follow the line with a saber saw with a file tooth blade

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
      • Aug 2000

Thomas,

I remember that you told me to do this when we talked on the phone about a month ago. I forgot the details when I made the post. I thought about over the night (its amazing how clear things become when you leave the project for a while).

Anyway, I placed the caps in, and used the internal braces to measure the correct internal height distance. Screwed the caps in place and then used the router. After a little bit of sanding with a sponge, looks great. Thanks again!!

So I have the tube together now, complete with the internal bracing and stuffing. Only have to mount the banana connector in place, then glue the pine caps, mount the speakers, and cover the tube. Hopefully done tomorrow.

Ill keep you guys posted!!

Gregg

Comment

• EMT
        • Aug 2000

Gregg,

Will you be screwing the pine to the MDF endcaps from inside the sonotube? If not, how will you be able to hold the wooden endcaps in place while the glue sets?

But speaking of glueing the wooden endcaps to an MDF substrate, I've read that this may present a problem as the natural wood tries to expand and contract with changes in temperature and humidity. Are you using an adhesive that remains flexible when it cures?

Will you have any pictures of the construction process for us to view? I always find it interesting to see other ppl's work as I don't have to ability to do this kind of thing myself.

Ellen

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
          • Aug 2000

The pine caps will be stained and sealed prior to being glued in place. Just using Elmores wood glue. I will be c clamping them on via the holes for the driver and the connector plate. If still not flat I have a couple of 50 pound dumb bells around to ensure a tight bond.

I never really considered photographing the work in progress as people like Patrick Sun have well documented their subs construction. I will take a few shots of the remaining process.

Gregg

Comment

• Stryke
            • Dec 2000

Well I setup a simple jig for the tablesaw. It basically consists of a back stop, and a sidestop that you clamp down. You put the tube in place and have someone to help you hold it down, then raise the blade up until it cuts through the tube. Then you just spin the tube, keeping it along both of the stops. once you spin it around a full 360 degrees you get a perfectly straight cut. This is a bad pic of what the stops look like:

http://www.stryke.com/pics/sono-saw.gif

John

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
              • Aug 2000

Just giving an update!

I have the covering on, and the pine caps glued in place. Had a little trouble with the caps, one cracked, and was also a little warped

All I have to do now, is attach the last 2 legs, silicon around the inside of the connector plate, soldier (sp?) the wires to the speakers, and them mount them. Hopefully all in a hour or 2, then hold your ears cause Maine may just fall off the east coast!!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"