X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregg Loewen
    • Aug 2000

Internal bracing on sonotube?

Hi!

Just finished cutting the end caps. Each cap will be 2 layers of 3/4 INCH MDF that will be placed internally and then capped off with a layer of 3/4 " pine board.

I have glued the 2 internal layers together. I have not glued the pine board caps on to them yet.

So my questions: do I need the internal bracing (2x2s) with 3 layers on each end? The caps will be fitting very tight and I will be screwing them into the sonotube with about 12-20 dry wall screws.

Second question: how to I attach the braces? No idea on this one. I want to have a nicely finished pine cap on each end and dont want to drill through it to attach the 2x2s. It would be greatly preferable for me to attach the pine boards to the MDF caps before inserting them into the tubes.

HELP!! I really want to get this project licked today

thanks

Gregg
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Gregg, I don't recall your design but I can tell you that on my sub with 3 layers of 3/4" on each end, the top does vibrate a little at high output. I don't have any drivers or ports on the top, it is a solid 30" surface. If I had to do it again I probably would try to brace it a little better but it doesn't bother me enough to want to tear it apart to fix it

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Before you put on the decorative cap, attach a couple of 2X2s that span the distance from the top to the bottom cap.

Also you really don't need that many screws if the fit is tight. Just put a good bead of caulk on the inside where the cap meets the tube and that will do the job. The screws only need to act as clamps while the caulk drys.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2000

I might suggest an X shaped criss cross brace on the back side of the top. Provided there are no ports or anything in the way, doubt so. This would give you a good brace for the length brac to the bottom end cap. Obviously, to clear the driver, you will have to adapt the end bracing, if you brace internally.

These are only suggestions, having never built a sonosub, I can't say from experience.

Lex

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"