X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

Isobaric Shivas?

Well, I've decided I need more bass in my system. However I have a couple of problems which have kept me from going ahead with getting more bass, they are:
    Space, I have almost no space to put a sub the foot print would have to be very small in order for me to make this work, I think I may be able to get away with a 14-16" sonotube, but nothing bigger.
    Second is quality, in a couple months I hope to have my main DIY speaker project done, and if all goes according to plan I should have a very fast and detailed sound coming out of them, so I need a sub that can keep up with that.

So I was thinking of going with a regular single shiva in one of Adire's recommended boxs, like the 90l version, which is a little bigger than I wanted, when I remember about isobaric loading and halving the amount of enclosure space. So I ran it through WinISD, and when I run it through I get a nice small enclosure (ie, around 2.25cu/ft tuned to 22Hz). So am I running along in the right track here? I'm not to concerned about the loss of SPL by doing the iso loading as I am an apartment dweller and watching a movie at reference level is only good if you want to break your lease, plus with some power behind it I don't think it will become to big of an issue.

What do you think?
    Andrew
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Isobarics are a good solution for situations where space is at a premium.

I suggest you download the demo LspCAD from the Adire site and use it to model the cabinet. It's a much better program than WinISD, it's preloaded with the Adire subwoofer T/S parameters. Also email Dan Wiggins because he already has some isobaric Shiva and Tempest models completed. He'll email them to you if you ask.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"