X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gregg Loewen
    • Aug 2000

Sonotube Sub Tuning Question, Help Please

Hi! Ive got my end caps cut for my new 30" diameter tube. The reason I have been wanting to make a new sub was because my current sub was occasionally clunking during low scenes when played at high DBLs.

Patrick post about his sonotube 1 (very similar to my current tube) have me worried.

link

If my tuning isnt low enough will I be having the same problems with my new tube??

Thanks for the info,

Gregg
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Gregg its is always a concern with higher tuned subs but a lot will depend on the source material. Figure that there's only a couple of titles that could cause problems and its all relative. Tuning lower will offer you some protection but at the expense of overall SPL in the most common bass region. Its up to you to decided if you want that added protection vs loosing a few dBs. Of course there's always the happy medium and pick a lower then optimal tune but not supper low

Comment

• Gregg Loewen
      • Aug 2000

Just thought of something...

Would my BFD Pro be able to filter out the signals that are causing the sub to clank? IE: can I filter out frequencies at 18? and below?

I have not taken it out of the box yet as I was waiting for my new tube to be completed then use the BFD to equalize the room with both subs booming.

Gregg

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Gregg, the BFD won't do anything to stuff under 20Hz (for the most part). You need a more expensive unit, like the ART351 (I think ThomasW bought one of these suckers because it can filter out the sub-20Hz stuff). Note, got the device name wrong, it's the symetrix device listed in Thomas's post below. Sorry for any confusion.

The Tempest drivers seem to be a bit more robust than their little brothers, the Shivas.

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
        PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The BFD lowest EQ point is 20Hz. So using it as a high pass filter is going to impact everything around 20 Hz and below depending on how wide the slope is set.

I have the Symetrix 551E it's lowest EQ point is 10Hz so it's preferable for creating a real low cut-off.

But using a Tempest in a big tube there shouldn't be that much of a problem with bottoming of any sort. Remember on Tempest is almost equal to 2 Shivas

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"