X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DIY Maggie centre

Thomas i need to borrow your brain for a bit I should be getting me RPTV anytime now (like minutes from now!) Anyway I took the oppertunity to post my old centre channel speaker on ebay and it looks like things are going ok on that front. So that brings me to my question...I was going to use a single MMG or SMG as my centre but in their raw form they are to long (48"). The TV is only 42" wide and for the time being I want to have the speaker on the floor angled up. Eventually when I get the HT into its own room the centre will sit on top of the TV angled down...SAF won't allow that option at the moment. So my question (you didn't think I was ever going to get to one did you!) I know the MMGs (and SMGs) are basically just a panel of MDF with the actual plane housed in the middle. How important is the width of that MDF board? ie would it be possible to either make a new housing for the speaker or trim down the existing panel to make the physical size of the speaker smaller? Even if I only left an inch at the top and bottom of the wood (real top and bottom when vertical) that would make it about 44" wide so it would still be tight. anyway its just a thought at the moment. I found a 6 year old pair of SMGs in canada cheap that would make good speaker to use as a centre but the SMG's are a lot wider then the MMGs...is that just extra wood or is the plane itself wider?

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew

Baffle/boundry loading is very important for the maggies, especially for the midbass region. Cutting down the size of the panel will drastically decrease the performance and efficiency. So sorry, but this is not a good idea.

Can you "fly" the full sized panel from the ceiling? Use a piano hinge and swing it up out of sight when not being used?

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Somehow, the fly away Maggie idea just won't fly I have a feeling, lol. What you think Andrew? You gonna run that by Glenda? :W

To bad about the sizing problems

Lex

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thomas I guess you live alone LOL Unfortunalty that isn't going to work...at least until I get this rig into its own dedicated room.

Any smaller planer speakers that you know off?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Andrew

Yes I currently live alone, but my very longtime GF doesn't mind the look of any of the HT/Music equipment, because she enjoys the quality of the sound/video.

Remember "a man's home IS his castle" :B

The only other suitable planar would be the one from B&G RD22c $290ea. That's really 2 of their small planars with a dome tweeter in between. It's meant to be used with a 6" driver on each end.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thomas where do I find out more about that B&G RD22c? Also now that the TV is in place it seems I've got a bit more room then I thought. If I used an MMG and trimmed a bit on the top and moved the crossover etc from the bottom to the back (when laid horizontal) it might work. You said above that the wood is importnat for dispersion...I'd be leaving the sides alone only trimming the ends so would that have that much of an effect? I realize of axis will be fairly poor but given that the listening area is the couch I should be ok. I'd like to explore my options though incl the B&G speaker. Right now i'm running in phantom mode and its not that bad.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Andrew

Actually many people using planars think that "Phanton" mode is THE best center. The only drawback is that the mains are working harder to get the higher SPLs that HT usually requires.

Here's some links to what you would be copying

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

thomas if I were to persue the B&G speaker where would I start? I should have some cash coming available soon to get this started if its what I decide is best...

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Andrew

Buy the RD22c, then we'll need to find a pair of good 6.5" drivers. The drivers will need to be shielded if the speaker is going to go one the floor. If it's going on top of a RPTV then unshielded units will be ok.

theAudioWorx
                  Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"