Is it possible/practical to set up a nonbridgeable amp in bridged mode?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohanK
    • Aug 2000

Is it possible/practical to set up a nonbridgeable amp in bridged mode?

I'm wondering if this is a good idea. I would like to setup my Rotel 985MkII amp so that 4 of the channels will become 2 'bridged' channels. Basically, I want more power w/o buying a new amp. Thanx.

• Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Good Question Johan, i wonder the same thing. apperently it can be done by what this link shows http://www.sound.au.com/project14.htm#top
    Can't say I have tried it though....

Bing
    Bing

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Bridging does work but it's almost always a sonic compromise, particularly for amps not designed that way during manfacturing. And even then there are sonic differences in the various mfgrs approach.

Bi-wiring is usually better option if that's possible.

Unless one is an experienced electrical circuit DIYer with lots of test equipment, including a "scope", I'd suggest not playing around with the circuitry shown on the ESP page. There just too great a potential for frying the amp.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JohanK
        • Aug 2000

Thank you for the link Bing. I've got a little reading to do.

Thomas, that is what I thought but the concept intrigues me. However, from my experience, biwiring or (passive) biamping does not obtain a significant SPL increase. Can you elaborate on the sonic compromise of bridging? What 'effects' do you notice? Thanx.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Johan

This isn't anything I've played with at all. The reason for that is the engineering is at odds with what should be happening is a circuit. That being the less hardware in the signal path the better

The only way to do this "well" is the way it's done by Sony with their "BTL" amps, "Balanced Transformer Less" design. That design straps the output modules together without having any transformer in the circuit. This approach is the least damaging IMO to the signal. I have 2 amps that do this.

Using the aftermarket circuit is like trying to hook 2 motors together, and make them run as one. To do this the output from the first amp is basically dropped to line level to feed the second amp. So it's like throwing away one stage of amplification to get it to match the final.

So I think it's better to just trade up and get a larger amp.

theAudioWorx
          Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"