New kid needs some advice from the sub gurus.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean Coop
    • Feb 2001

New kid needs some advice from the sub gurus.

What better way to use a first post then to ask a simple beginner question right?
    So here it goes:
    Do I want a ported or sealed sonotube sub?
    Here are the variables that go into the answer:

---This sub's main purpose will be for HT.
    ---I like deep clear bass with no distortion, loud is good but reference is too loud for me. So if the sub can reach reference its well within my needs.
    ---Size isn't an issue, I have a corner in my HT that’s just dying to be filled with a big 18"-24" by 6' monster.
    ---The driver I plan on using is the Adire Audio Tempest, which looks like its a little better suited for a sealed cab, but (as others have proven) will definitely hold its own in a vented cab.
    ---My room is 15' long 17' wide, has a large opening in the rear and a vaulted ceiling.

Right now I’m leaning towards the sealed cab because its simple and for a first attempt at something simple is usually the best way to go IMO. But will I be missing out going with out the extra db at the low end the port would give me? Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks in advance

Dean
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi welcome to HT-Guide

If you want the best performance and to decrease the risk factor use one of the designs already proven for a ported Tempest. So checkout these threads then ask any more questions you might have. Sealed subs hold no real advanatage over ported design specially for HT use.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Lexman
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2000

Hey Dean, welcome to the Guide. My personal opinion is, that if you are going to go sealed, consider a traditional sealed enclosure. I don't know of many sealed Sonosubs that have been built. I have no empirical data as to why you should. Just call it a gut feeling.

Thomas, thanks for pointing him to the links.

Abzin, welcome to the Guide as well Dean! Don't forget to register for the DVDs in DVD Lotto!

Lex

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"