X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerry Hackney
    • Dec 2000

Pics of my 281s

Follow this link...
    Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

• marc seals
    • Sep 2000

Hey they look great! Your HT looks really nice as well.

Now how do they sound!!??

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Kerry

A very nice job indeed

Have you tried reversing the speakers so the tweeters are on the inside?

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Now that's what I call a matching set of speakers and entertainment center!

Once you get that new receiver, you'll be able to unleash the power of the 281's!

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
        PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Beautiful job, Kerry! Don't keep us in suspense, how do they sound?

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

Bob, let me jump in, since I heard them myself. Good to see you out surfing the board.

They sound great! Now, I was honest enough to tell him, that his electronics were not helping them. No offense Kerry! But I saw real potential with the speakers. They just need a little cleaner signal to really sing! But Kerry and his wife did a wonderful job on them!

Lex

Comment

• Kerry Hackney
              • Dec 2000

As with many things in HT/Audio one improvement only serves to highlight some other weakness. In my case the 281s really put the heat on my reciever, both figuratively and literally. SOOOOOO.. I solved the problem today with a deal I just couldn't pass up. On another thread I found a company in PA called Stereo Trading Outlet. Following the thread out of curiousity I found a certified Marantz dealer who, while they can't mail-order sell new Marantz equipment also has "B" stock, used and discontinued models. As some may know from my other posts or my site, I currently use a Sony STRDR715 "digital ready" reciever from the low end of the Sony line. Not terrible but truely not for critical listening/viewing. To handle DD and DTS I got a Panasonic RV80U DVD player with both processors onboard the player. So, I really don't need a DD reciever. Well to make this long story short, the PA dealer had a SR96 Marantz reciever left over new and in the box with full warranty. In 1996 this was the "flagship" of the Marantz line. It sold new for $1600. I just ordered the one they had left for .... $600. Yes, I saved 1000. Color me HAPPY Now, we'll see what the 281s are really capable of. I am also now convinced that I have some leakage problems in my cabinets which will be fixed ASAP. I did some test tone sweeps and confirmed that I don't really have the bass extension that I should. I was suspect of the terminal cups all along. In my haste to listen at the end of the project I lost my normally patient disposition in favor of the "Christmas morning" rush to finish. Now, I'll do what I should have done, pay attention to the fine details and do it right. I knew better. You may wonder why I hadn't complained of the problem..., because I have a sub that hid the situation. Only after I did extended listening with no sub did I become suspicious. The response above 100 seems unaffected.
              I'll let you know how the system changes sometime next week... As good as the 281s are now, I can only imagine what it will be...

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"