X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin C Brown
    • Jun 2002

Rotel & 7.1: mono rears?

I thought this was the case, but someone else thinks otherwise...

Thanks!
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Nope. Rotel uses some processing to arrive at 4 channels of sound for the rear. You can do it mono if you wish, the setup menu has a selection of 1 or 2 center rear speakers.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin C Brown
      • Jun 2002

Kevin (!) D- You may have mis-intepreted:

Surrounds plus rears for 7.1. Surrounds always have the 2 discrete channels from DD or DTS for example. But in xS mode, what ends up in the rears?

I thought it was a single channel derived from the surrounds (doesn't matter, 1 or 2 rears, for 2 it's mono).

But a person I know says it's more like the Denon receivers: in a 7.1 config in xS mode with 2 rears, that the left surround is replicated into the left rear, and the right surround is replicated into the right rear. For 1 rear channel, it's a mono channel derived from both surrounds.

??

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

According to Rotel the rears in a 7.1 system running Rotels XS processing is in quasi stereo ...ie its not mono but its not a true stereo type mode either...and a lot depends on the material...clear enough :LOL:

Comment

• Kevin C Brown
          • Jun 2002

> quasi stereo

Thanks Andrew. I did not know that. Maybe similar to THX Ultra2 where they use decorrelation to make the 2 channels a little bit different. Put them slightly out of phase with each other or something.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"