RSP-1066 review, compare to an almost top of the line Yamaha receiver...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LEVESQUE
    • Oct 2002

RSP-1066 review, compare to an almost top of the line Yamaha receiver...

I don't know why but we don't see much talk about this pre-pro anymore, so I've decide to post a "mini-review", because it's a direct comparaison between an almost top of the line receiver and a dedicated pre-pro. I see alot of post on this "hot subject": good receiver or real pre-pro, is there a difference?? For me, it's a firm YES... My RX-V3200 cost me 500$ more then the Rotel when it came out around 6 months ago. So I think it's a fair comparison.

I've just replace a Yamaha RX-V3200 that I was using for pre-amp with a Rotel RSP-1066, 2 days ago. I'm using this with a Rotel RMB-1095 (5X200) + Rotel RB-1050 (2x70) + 4x Paradigm Studio-40 + Studio-CC + 2x Studio-20 + Servo-15.

I was having a problem with a bad white noise from all speakers when using the Yammie in this configuration. Swithching to the RSP-1066 solve my problem. Silence bliss in quiet part. Case closed. Maybe only a question of internal grounding, but even my RMB-1095 is dead quiet now.

The first BIG difference, an in your face difference, is the resolution of details that I got now with the Rotel. Listening to LOTR again (like the 10th time!!), a film that I know everything about, is revealing so much little details I was not aware of before, it's almost frightening. The sound is clearer, cleaner, and really crisp. The Yammie was hidding a lot of details.

The other improvement is the sound-stage. After 10 minutes of listening, I tought I did'nt plug my center channel to the Rotel...but the fronts are now blending so well with the center that I can't tell where the sound is coming from!! With the Yammie, I was always trying to "blend" to front stage, moving the speakers, etc, but everything coming from the center was always really directionnal and distracting. With the Rotel, I finally got this perfect blending of the 3 front speaker!!

Listening to DVD-Audio is a totally different experience with the Rotel. Again, the resolution of details is really better. I was not that impress with DVD-Audio, and not "attracted" to it (I own 25 DVD-Audio) and wasn't coming back to it. But now, I will go back to my collection, because, NOW, it's quite an experience!! You want a concrete fact? I gave the bottle to my newborn (10 days old) listening to Mozart Piano Concerto 21, and she fell asleep after 2 onces only, and usually she drinks 5 onces non-stop!! That's a testimony!!

I know that people talk alot of problems with bass management with the Rotel RSP-1066 on different forum. But I don't see any difference in the bass from what the Yammie was giving me. I'm using a Denon DVD-3800 that is doing BM in multi-channel, so I think it's canceling this issue, or helping it so much that it's impossible for me to spot. My DVD-Audio experience is full of bass, like with the Yammie, not to much, not less. The only place I see something strange (after listening to my 21 DVD-Audio) is with the Emerson LAke & Palmer DVD. In the song Lucky Man, there is really too much bass, even with the sub set at MIN. My wife tooth brush was moving almost 30 feets upstairs!! I think the problem is for people using full range speakers, and it's not my case. But I don't ear any difference in almost all my DVD and DVD-Audio

The only "drawback", a minor one, is that I don't find the settings and the remote really intuitive. I had to read the manual closely with the Rotel, and even do some "trial and error" to set everything, compare to the Yammie, that is a lot easier to set for first use. The Yammie remote is easier to use to. But for me it's not a real problem, but for Joe-six-pack trying to make everything works with both will probably have an easier time with the Yammie then the Rotel. The Yammie is a bit more "user friendly"...

Sorry for the long post. Everything here is my humble opinion.

I'm now a firm believer that a receiver, almost a top of the line for Yamaha, cannot compare to a real pre-pro. Maybe Denon or another company would be different, but Yamaha can't compete with the Rotel RSP-1066 IN MY SYSTEM. Maybe with different speakers it would be different to. But IN MY SYSTEM, I'm now in complete ecstacy withy the Rotel, and I WAS NOT with the Yammie. The sound I was researching was just not there.

For people out there that dream of a Anthem AVM20 but can't afford it, do yourself a favor, and go buy a RSP-1066. it's the best price/value on the market right now, and at this price it's a steal!! Don't tell Rotel they could sell this unit for double this price! Shut!!!

BTW, my firmware version (holding mute button) is 2,2,2,020905. I tought they were at 1,46??!! :?:
    To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for taking the time to post that review. Always nice to see another Rotel user on the guide site. The only way we'll make this area work for us is our participation so lets all make this work!

Comment

• SergeH
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by LEVESQUE
      The other improvement is the sound-stage. After 10 minutes of listening, I tought I did'nt plug my center channel to the Rotel...but the fronts are now blending so well with the center that I can't tell where the sound is coming from!! With the Yammie, I was always trying to "blend" to front stage, moving the speakers, etc, but everything coming from the center was always really directionnal and distracting. With the Rotel, I finally got this perfect blending of the 3 front speaker!!
      How lucky you are ! I have exactly the opposite feeling with my rsp-1066 :cry:
      I had 2 sony before and never felt the 'presence' of my central speaker this way.

Thanks for your review.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"