X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Morris Jones
    • Oct 2002

Second take, RSX-1065

After a lot of research and some auditions, my wife and I upgraded the theater room to an RSX-1065 and a surround set of B&W CDM speakers (7NT, CNT, SNT). I purchased the lot from Access Music in San Rafael.

When I placed the order, they had the black RSX-1065 in stock for me, so I graciously took it home and hooked it up with my old Polk RT6000 speakers. Even with the Polks, the sound was just delightful.

After about three hours of sampling different disks, my wife and I sat down to enjoy a movie (God's and Monsters).

About 30 minutes into the movie, there was a sound like an air-raid siren building in the distance, then getting louder, and louder, and ... I finally figured out that it wasn't part of the sound track -- the amp had gone unstable and was oscillating. I finally jumped out of my seat to hit the "off" button, luckily before any speakers were blown or eardrums burst.

After contemplating the situation, I powered up and tried it again, with the same result about 20 minutes later. Two more times were enough to convince me that this receiver was rotelus mortis.

Of course the store took good care of me, and I now have a fresh 1065 along with my beautiful red cherry B&W speakers. But oh, the ten days of anticipation!

I categorize the event as simply "these things happen," but it couldn't help but give the impression of Rotel as being somewhat like a fancy italian sports car -- great performance but perhaps a little fragile and needing special care. I'm assured that that's really not the case.

But meanwhile, back to listening.

Hopefully soon I'll have an IR receiver for zone 2 in the bedroom (driven by a 1050 amp), and the Pronto all programmed for the new configuration.

Cheers,
    Mojo

Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA

mojo@whiteoaks.com
    Morris Jones
    San Rafael, CA
    http://www.whiteoaks.com
    mojo@whiteoaks.com
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thats the first major problem I've heard about on these newer models so I'd think you just happened to get a bumed model.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"