X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • den497
    • Aug 2002

ROTEL 1095 POWER AMP BUZZING any others having this problem

I have had 2 of these the first returned by transport damage.Both have buzzing coming thru the speakers and very anoying.I have tried running no earth thru a double adapter with the earth lug cut off.I have tried just having the speakers connected and no interconects but still buzzes.If you put your head close to the amp you can hear it buzzing inside.Both units did this.Is this the norm for this amp.
    any help appreciated
    dennis
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How loud is the buzzing? The power supplies often buzz a little but it shouldn't be audible from a few feet away.

Comment

• den497
      • Aug 2002

Hi Andrew
      At my sitting postion I hear it from all 5 speakers in quiet pieces of film or music.Not a humm but buzzing.
      thanks
      dennis

Comment

• jerohm
        • Oct 2002

ops:
        I didn't read the original post carefully enough!
        never mind

Comment

• MuShu007
          • Jun 2002

I had the same thing too but I used a polarized plug and it disappeared.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

its strange that it still occurs when no IC are pluged into it which leads me to believe its either a bad power source (plug) or its picking up interference from somewhere. Since its happened with two seperate amps I'm leaning towards the plug being the problem. maybe try running an extension cord from some plug thats on a different curcuit and see if that changes anything...

Comment

• den497
              • Aug 2002

thanks Andrew
              I will give it ago
              MuShu007
              thanks
              what do you mean by polarised plug and how do I do it
              Thanks guys
              Dennis 8O

Comment

• MuShu007
                • Jun 2002

Mine is an orange 2 prong plug which came with my old Klipsch sub,in their manual it sez to use it if the sub has a humming sound.Like Andrew said it might be picking up something from your line.
                BTW,sent you some pics thru your mail for reference

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Mushu is referring to the cheater plug, which isn't best to use those as has been discussed plenty before. It gives you no ground protection. Sure, just to research and see if that is the problem.

Sometimes, I get hum through my speakers, but it seems related to the power, not anything else, as it does vary with each time I turn my system on. Maybe you have something similar going on?

Lex
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• MuShu007
                    • Jun 2002

Is there anything else I can use besides that plug? something grounded that is cheap? 8)
                    BTW, it is plugged into a Monster HTS-1000 via 3 prong plug into the wall so shouldn't that be grounded?I've tried plugging it straight into the wall without the plug then it hums also.....

Comment

• Brent Briscoe
                      • Nov 2002

Hi Dennis.

I just bought the 1090 and it is doing the same thing (see my seperate post). If I find out how to fix mine I'll let you know.

Cheers
                      Brent

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

The one good thing a cheater plug can do is at least tell you if its a grounding problem. If you make or buy a cheater plug and it removes the hum then you know you need to address the grouding in your house. If however the hum is still there you have a defective amp.

Note we can't buy cheater plugs here in Canada so if you want one simply look for an extension cord that has only two plugs on the male end and will accept a grounded plug on the other....or just buy one of those cheap power bars and snap off the ground pin As doug mentioned though doing this could possibly leave your system without a proper ground....there's a reason they aren't legal here!

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                          • Feb 2002

My RMB 1075 used to hum loudly when my processor was plugged into a different outlet, which indicated a grounding problem. I now have both plugged directly into the same dedicated 20 A outlet, and the hum is very much minimized. If I was to put my ear directly against the tweeter I can still here a bit of a hum, but nothing from the listening position at all.

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                            • Oct 2002

I was in the same situation not long ago with my RMB-1095. If you want to know how crazy we can go for this hobby go read this! :LOL: Seriously, it's a good listing of all the tricks and tweaks to eliminate this kind of noise. I tried everything, and I mean everything!

We discuss and review all genre of movies, all types of home theater hardware, and maintain one of the longest running active forums on the web!

My problem was an internal grounding issue or a difference of potential between 2 components. I don't really know. But my problem is solve since I switch the pre-amp from Yamaha to the Rotel RSP-1066! 8)
                            To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"